modifying the Fender Greta line out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifying the Fender Greta line out

Hey ya'll quick question. I'm trying to figure out the best way to mod this little fender head, the greta. Schematic here. I want to cut the internal speaker out when the line out is plugged in, but I'm not figuring an easy way to switch a dummy load resistor into the circuit. Would it work to have something like a 10 watt 32ohm resistor always wired in between the transformer secondary, and then short the + speaker lead to ground when a plug is inserted into the line out?

What's the reasoning behind running the halves of V1 in parallel?
    --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

output power. parallel singled ended output section. pretty standard.

Comment

No, putting a resistor across the secondary will still be shorted when the speaker is unplugged.
        One thing to consider is that the Line out is driven by the OT, so the sound will be a bit different with a resistive rather than speaker load.
        The simplest solution would be to connect the power resistor to a 1/4 inch jack and plug it in instead of the speaker.

As far as V1 being paralleled, it is functioning as the power tube to drive the OT, so 2 sides paralleled gives a little more current capacity for a bit more power out.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I ended up building a small dummy load with 2 10 watt 18ohm resistors paralleled, a 50mH inductor, and a 1000uF cap. Works nicely

Comment

Can you post a schematic?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

pretty simple. I used a .33uH inductor for the series inductance, and a 50uH for the parallel. The series resistance is ~8ohm 20Watts, and there's a 1000uf, 50V cap parallel with the 50uH inductor.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ampdummy.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	832923

Comment

Probably so but it's new to me, that's why I asked.
                --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Working...
                X