Tonestack help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    Most of the MO you're describing doesn't exactly fit with what I know most members of this forum to be about. That's about as civil as I can put it. I'm sure you'll learn something about what changes make differences, what those changes are actually doing to the circuits and what those circuits are doing in your own time. Until then...

You can change almost any value in the DC isolated signal chain of the amp without blowing anything up. Other things that will change the sound, gain of a tube stage include preamp cathode bypass capacitors. You can change the value of these, add them if their not there or remove them completely. A good starting point for the Easter egg hunt version of modding is to at least learn about what constitutes the DC isolated signal chain and what constitutes the power supplies. It may also help you to learn at least a little about some common tube gain stages used in guitar amps rather than just passively shaping the AC in between them. This can open up new possibilities to actually make the tubes clip more symmetrically or less so. And if less symmetrical on which end (cutoff or saturation) the clipping occurs. You seem to be at the stage where it's time to get a couple of books on the subject. There are many that are recommended. Most are pretty good.
    Ok thanks. I'll just get out of here and visit another friendly place then.

Comment

Ok

Wait.!. What!?!

The trouble is only that you still haven't defined any targets. I mentioned a few things to consider WRT your preferred method of operation. I don't agree with all that fussing over cap brand, but I do a little of it myself. So, whatever. And I think we all did a little Easter egg hunting in our deepest memories. That's how I know that you'll get a lot of gratification from upping your game now. It's not a quickie sort of "So... What's up with all these amps, huh?" question at this point. I can't do anything about how complicated electronics are, but I can tell you what's next if you want to find what you're after using your commentary as a guide. Since that's all I can possibly know about it.
      Last edited by Chuck H; 02-25-2015, 03:37 PM.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by ODR View Post
        I see what you mean, but I am looking for a specific tone in the amp.
        Is it possible to put this specific tone into words. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get you close, if not spot on, if you can describe it in a sentence or two. :-)

Then I bought lots of old / new caps and resistors to see / hear if there was any change in the overall tone. I heard f ex a rather big difference changing the the two 10 uf caps to Blag Gate ones, rounded of the overall audible. I changed some of the other caps to Orange drops, also better tone, but lesser audibility. I now have two Ajax Blues in there and som old Astrons and Bradelys. I also changed to Billm's output trafo, changed the cabinets and lots of speakers 10 inch and 12 inch.
        This is basically a hobby, but I rarely get the chance to experience what differences actually makes a change in the sound. So no perticular plan, but to look for changes that gets closer to the sound I am looking for.
        Aha, okey, you're not looking for a special tone, like in a tone you heard before... You're looking for at tone that makes your amp stand out (from the amp crowd). Hm... this is a though one... Actually, your trial and error approach might be your best bet.

Edit: Oh, I see that you already given up on this forum ODR..? If you read any posts: Even if the posts haven't been very helpful you must understand that everyone here are dying to dazzle you with know-how. It is however very hard to deduce what makes a tone/amp stand out, from your point of view.
        In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
          Is it possible to put this specific tone into words. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get you close, if not spot on, if you can describe it in a sentence or two. :-)

Aha, okey, you're not looking for a special tone, like in a tone you heard before... You're looking for at tone that makes your amp stand out (from the amp crowd). Hm... this is a though one... Actually, your trial and error approach might be your best bet.

Edit: Oh, I see that you already given up on this forum ODR..? If you read any posts: Even if the posts haven't been very helpful you must understand that everyone here are dying to dazzle you with know-how. It is however very hard to deduce what makes a tone/amp stand out, from your point of view.

Thanks for good advice. All I ask is; Is there on this board any parts that colour the final sound more than others, being in the audiochain so to speak, I have seen elsewhere people saying by reducing or increasen certain resistorvalues, (100k to 80k f ex) you could emphasize or even out certain freq. I am not an electrician but a musician looking to get a greater sound out of the little Pro, great amp. Read the Bill audio site f eks.

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
            Consider disconnecting the presence boost capacitor, the left hand 0.1uF cap on the board photo.

Hi pdf64. Tried to disconnect both, one at the time. One left the amp not sounding and the other left it with a low overdriv and the volumepot not reacting.

Comment

This is how the amp looks like at the moment.
              Attached Files

Comment

Maybe you lifted the 1k resistor as well?
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                  Maybe you lifted the 1k resistor as well?
                  I'll try again.

Comment

If you think the amp is to bright C1 is a place to look. Start by simply lifting it. Have you tried the tone-stack capacitors, C3 and C4? Try different values, but values in the same ballpark.

Maybe not a tone changer, but you could add two capacitors, say 4.7u to 10u, or even smaller if you like to tighten up the bass a bit. These caps goes in parallel with R4 and R11.
                    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

If you think the amp is to bright C1 is a place to look. Start by simply lifting it. Have you tried the tone-stack capacitors, C3 and C4? Try different values, but values in the same ballpark.

Maybe not a tone changer, but you could add two capacitors, say 4.7u to 10u, or even smaller if you like to tighten up the bass a bit. These caps goes in parallel with R4 and R11.
                      Great suggestion, thank you!

Comment

I don't think component numbers are going to work, unless he has a layout diagram that shows the component numbers.
                        On the layout he posted in post #3, I can't see if the component numbers are listed.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                          I don't think component numbers are going to work, unless he has a layout diagram that shows the component numbers.
                          On the layout he posted in post #3, I can't see if the component numbers are listed.
                          They are.

Comment

Ok, good. And the schematic posted in post #4 is what everyone is working from?
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

If you think the amp is to bright C1 is a place to look..
                              I change to .022 uf, bri
                              ghter, changed to .1 uf seemed fuller and with less treble?
                              Where do you think the lowest acceptance for voltage tolerance on the cap in C1?

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                                They are.
                                That's funny right there.
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X