adding DC heaters to a high gain 100 watt amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding DC heaters to a high gain 100 watt amp

Hello all, I would like to use DC heaters on my next Marshall Style amp (extra gain stage) build and need help locating a schematic to do this. Do any of you have a link or file for how to wire this up? Also, would using a generic Marshall style PT do or do I need some heavier iron? Thanks

Any number of Marshall amps are made this way, look at those schematics. There is nothing special about the transformers.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Any number of Marshall amps are made this way, look at those schematics. There is nothing special about the transformers.
      Correct me if I'm wrong but all Marshall amps I know are AC heaters and not D.C. So I'm not sure what u mean. I'm looking for a D.C. Heater scheme.

Comment

I think Enzo meant, you don't need any fancy transformers to make a Marshall... heck, they don't even BIAS TAPS on their PTs! Cheap jerks...
        And most Ampegs didn't have HVCTs on theirs...

Re: DC heaters, check the newer Peaveys - the XXX/5150 types I think use DC heaters for the preamps.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/marshal...sl100_100w.pdf

You only need DC on the first tube or two, it really adds nothing to the phase inverter or other later tubes.

Yes, rectify the 6vAC for the first couple tubes as in the example above. The supply is right below V1.

Peavey has wired heaters on DC for a long time, but they wire them as 12v and in series. The 5150 example has four in series as 12v across the 48v of +24 and -24vDC. The Classic 30 does the same with three tubes across +18 and -18vDC. That method would not lend itself to easily add to a Marshall circuit, because the transformers lack those windings.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X