Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace 2 x12" speakers with 1x 15", possible? Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace 2 x12" speakers with 1x 15", possible? Worth it?

Hi guys,
    My first post so be kind.......please.

So, I have a Carlsbro GLX150C combo amp which runs on 2x12" celestions. I have this idea of swapping the smaller 12s for a big ol 15" speaker. Firstly, I'd like to know if it's possible, but then I'm going to need some technical help regarding what to replace with and how to choose the correct parts.

Any help you can offer would be awesome! Thanks

Actually, it all depends on the ratings of the 2 12's.

Like their dc resistance & how they are wired (series or parallel).

Comment

Ok, so they only information I know about the setup, it's a new amp to me, is this;

Carlsbro GLX 150c
      2 x 75watts
      Open back combo
      2 x Celestion G12T-75 12" running @ 8ohms each.

Apparently they come in 6.77 or 12.9 ohm DC resistances, but I have no idea if they are in parallel or in series. Any advice on how to find that out?

Comment

Neither. It is a stereo amplifier, so there is an amp channel for each speaker. They are independent. You cannot wire the two channels together into a single speaker.

If the speakers say 8 ohms on the label, then that is what they are. An 8 ohm speaker usually measures 6-7 ohms on a meter.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok, cool, so that puts the original idea to bed, thanks for the advice.

How about, if I can find a way to fit it into the amp, replacing one of the 12s with a 15? Or would that totally mess with the way it sounds?

Comment

I do not believe that I have ever seen a combo cab that will accommodate 2x15" speakers.
            Two 12" speakers will give you a good sound so please tell us what your motivation is to change to two 15's. I.e. what improvement do you want / expect?

Comment

Don't get me wrong, the 12"s give a good sound but I've been led to believe the frequency response from 15"s are better. Deeper lows and more rounded tones?

I play heavy, low end stoner/doom style music with lots of fuzz. I know that a lot of guys in this genre play through 15s and was just curious as to whether I could mod my combo to "fatten" my sound.

Comment

You could probably pick up a Fender 2x15" for about the price of doing all your intended mods...
                Maybe a bass cab?
                As far as your wanting your sound "more rounded," I would suggest trying some different speakers. Those T75s - look at when they were invented, what ampsc they came in, and what kind of music was being made with them at the time. Hint: JCM900, mid-90s. They had a very particular audience in mind!

Good luck in your quest, and maybe ask what KINDs of speakers those guys are using, not just size.

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                  You could probably pick up a Fender 2x15" for about the price of doing all your intended mods...
                  Maybe a bass cab?
                  As far as your wanting your sound "more rounded," I would suggest trying some different speakers. Those T75s - look at when they were invented, what ampsc they came in, and what kind of music was being made with them at the time. Hint: JCM900, mid-90s. They had a very particular audience in mind!

Good luck in your quest, and maybe ask what KINDs of speakers those guys are using, not just size.

Justin
                  Yeah.. just wire some break in jacks on each speaker and plug in a 2x15" wired in stereo cab (or even a 1x15" cab off of one speaker) and see how it sounds. But truthfully... I don't think you are going to get a huge difference.

Comment

You might just try one of these, too. Easier to carry around than a dual 15" cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	151324000000000-00-500x500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	844257
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      You might just try one of these, too. Easier to carry around than a dual 15" cabinet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41634[/ATTACH]
                      +1. They are super effective, and frequently overlooked. If you're on a budget, the Behringer is like 25 bucks new, and its fine.
                      Well, you know what they say: "One man's mojo is another man's mojo".

Comment

Yeah, but it doesn't really handle enough power for me to plug my Bassman 100 into it... :P
                        And it doesn't make everyone in the room go "oh, shit, this guy is serious!" when you walk through the door with it.
                        I love it when the soundman walksnover with an XLR cable in one hand, looks at me, and goes, "well, nevermind..."
                        Hell, go for the 2x15". Or two 1x15"s. It is rock&roll, after all, and so image is, well, a lot, anyway.

Justin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                        X