Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would be the best place to insert a reverb circuit into a tweed tremolux 5G9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And just a note that removing the PI doesn't really determine the source of the issue. Removing PI kills all sound from preamp no matter where it is.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      And just a note that removing the PI doesn't really determine the source of the issue. Removing PI kills all sound from preamp no matter where it is.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5578F3B-E040-4666-96D4-52C58A1E3C18.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	857487Click image for larger version

Name:	E498576F-60A5-4AFE-91C6-9C3C9ED57B6C.jpeg
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	857488Click image for larger version

Name:	7C04B713-1BB2-412A-90A9-B9CF286781AE.jpeg
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	857489

Comment

I can’t catch a break, I also don’t know what I am doing wrong with pictures? Sorry

Comment

I didn't remove the originals. But I flipped them to repost. For higher res clip on the thumbnail, open it in a new tab and click the with the + magnifying glass cursor.

Attached Files
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Magic?

Comment

Originally posted by Dandrix View Post
                Magic?
                No. I copied them all, flipped them and then reposted. Call it love time. This is my gig.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Same voltages, a lot of noise

Comment

I have a hunch there's a cold solder joint or joints. You can try touching up any iffy looking joints. If it's not full, smooth and shiny with obvious wicking onto the components leads then it's suspect. Anything with gaps, graininess or showing surface tension on the component leads or eyelets should be reheated and add a dot of your flux core solder. But don't overload the eyelets to where they drop a solder puck out the bottom. It's also possible the problem is UNDER the board. Oh I know how great that is once you've put everything in place.

Comment

I have a hunch there's a cold solder joint or joints. You can try touching up any iffy looking joints. If it's not full, smooth and shiny with obvious wicking onto the components leads then it's suspect. Anything with gaps, graininess or showing surface tension on the component leads or eyelets should be reheated and add a dot of your flux core solder. But don't overload the eyelets to where they drop a solder puck out the bottom. It's also possible the problem is UNDER the board. Oh I know how great that is once you've put everything in place.
                      will do. the under the board thing

Comment

Well do the top stuff first. No sense lifting the board if you don't have to.

Comment

Strange readings now on the mix triode of the recovery stage. Hrmph. Please remeasure the reverb recovery triode.
                          Could you clarify pin numbers of tank return and of mix triode?
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            Could you clarify pin numbers of tank return and of mix triode?
                            Originally posted by Dandrix View Post
                            recovery 12ax7: 1:214 2: 0v 3: 1.7v 4/5: 3.3vac 6: 89v 7: 3v 8: 3.7v 9: 3.1vac
                            I'm only assuming 6, 7 and 8 are the mixer. Regardless, plate 89V, grid 3V and cathode 3.7V ain't right.

Comment

Good news!
                              FIXED the static issue. Yeah!
                              updated numbers are B1: 394 B2: 391 B3: 347 B4: 330
                              Driver pin1: 390v 2: 6.2mv 3:7v 6: 388v 7: 6.2mv 8:7v
                              Recovery Pin1: 221v 2: 0v 3: 1.7v 6: 229v 7: 0v 8:1.7v

Do you think these numbers are GOOD?
                              so, the reverb will make it to 5 then starts to feedback low to high pitch squeal. the pot makes a staticy sound as it is raised(wiper noise?) in level. The wire that comes from the node of 510k and 470k (yellow wire in my pictures) to the reverb pot middle lug. did you want me to use interconnect cable for that connection? if i tap it or move it around it makes noise in the circuit.
                              Thanks for the help today with touching up solder joints

Comment

Those numbers are good. Noise gone is good. Tell me, does the amp sound pretty much as it did before the reverb was added? I ask because it should sound almost exactly the same so if it doesn't that could be a symptom. The only difference is that your signal is flipped 180 degrees. So there may be some small nuances that will be different if you always sit in the same place WRT the amp.

So the reverb is no longer breaking into static noises? Just oscillation and feedback? Also, do you have ample reverb at 5 before the problem starts. I expected the circuit to have too much reverb when we started this actually. Last question, does the static noise start at the same time as the oscillation or does happen anywhere you rotate the control?

Comment

Working...
                                X