Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improving Reverb sound on a Peavey Classic 30, any idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Reverb sound on a Peavey Classic 30, any idea?

Hi,
    I have a peavey classic 30, modified following Steve Ahola's site rules, it works very well.
    My only complain is the reverb part, it is good and it has a good decay but it's not deep enough and it doesn't have that Fender type vibe, like the springs were over excited hitting hard the guitar strings (a sort of "ssbbraawng", it's quit impossible to describe).
    this is the circuit:
    http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/peavey/c30schem.gif
    The reverb tank is an accutronics 4eb2c1b, that means 600 ohm input impedance and 2250 output impedance.
    My guess is the driver circuit doesn't feed enough current to the reverb tank input, problem is the driver circuit is built around a 4558 opamp, maybe with small driving capabilities.
    I've been told to change the 4558 for a an NE5532 or LM833 and playing with the C28/R34 combo to raise up the rolloff point.
    any idea about?
    thank you very much
    Marcello

Hi Marcello

I have a C30 that I have done all of Steve's mods to at one stage or another. At the moment I have a TL072 op amp in the 'verb circuit, which works a bit better than the 4558 to my ear. (Plug in substitute that gets a bit higher rating by some obscure audiophiles). Having said that, it seems to make the 'verb more alive. However its nothing approaching an AC30. I think you need to do the Blue Guitar valveverb mod to get near that.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I doubt changing the op amp will make more than a tiny difference. STck a little socket in there and you can change them forever.

You might try a three spring pan, instead of a 4EB2C1B, try a 9EB2C1B.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X