Koch recording output used as "attenuator"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koch recording output used as "attenuator"

I have a Koch Studiotone combo which, at 20 watts class A, is too loud to generate output stage distortion in my home. It has an internal "power soak" which drops speaker volume to 0, and has a recording output jack which I've used with a powered monitor with it's own volume control to hear what the cranked up amp sounds like. I'm thinking that a small (10 - 20 watt?) inexpensive solid-state amplifier with a volume control could be used to take that output level and power the combos own speaker -- effectively giving me the same result (i.e. he sound of a fully cranked amp at bedroom levels) as a variable power attenuator. Make sense? if so, what kind of amp should I be considering - hi-fi, guitar amp,..., does it matter? (the combo amp is 8 ohm)

It's made for that ... for low volume performance would put the recording out into a mixer, pan it to stereo, add in vocals and digital drums, and send that to a stereo amp.

I recommend a nice stereo amp (instead of a cheap one). I have an old and heavy Onkyo from a yard sale, which sounds very nice.

Also realize that cranking an amp through an attenuator does put strain on those output tubes - the same as cranking it through the speaker.
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Working...
    X