Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Name Amp - Isolating the Power Amp section

Hi there,

I have been mapping out the schematic on an amp I got at the junkyard (I think it may be an old Organ amp). Anyhow, I am in the process of figuring out where I should cut off the pre-amp in this thing and insert the line input from my Vox valvetronix for fun and thus isolate the power amp.

I am thinking I can just connect the line-input directly to the grid of the phase inverter (as that is where the volume of the amp connects to). Though I am sure I will need a coupling capacitor.

I realize I dont have the schematic finished yet. After working on it for about 4 hours I got tired.

Thoughts anyone? Am I approaching this right?

Thanks,
    Kurt
    Attached Files

I'm not too familiar, but the vib. channel looks right because i use the same tube.

I want to know, however, how did u get somethin from a junkyard??? I would love to go treasure hunting

Comment

I have a friend at the junkyard who in the past has called me when he knew some tube gear was given to it. At the same time I got a tube tester - though it doesnt work and i have no clue how to fix it. But it was fun to mess with.

Well, it's good that I have the vib channel right. Any thoughts on isolating the power section?

Something I forgot to mention - the power section is two 6L6GB's so...there you are.

The input is an rca jack which is interesting. I don't know enough about the eq curve for a phono input to know whether this has it or not though.

Thanks for looking!

Comment

Don't confuse phono jack with phono channel. Phono jacks - RCA jacks - may have been developed for use with phono signals, they are used for all sorts of things. Certainly any stereo receiver has a ton of them for channels other than the phono. And closer to home, reverb pans use them. SOme Fender amps used them as speaker outputs.

A phono preamp - RIAA preamp - usually has an RCA jack for input, but might use something else.

If this really is an organ amp, I'd have doubts about it having a phono preamp stage. Phono preamps have the RIAA response curve, which is SERIOUSLY bass heavy and treble light. It is also a lot higher gain than a line input. SO the phono response eq curve you mention is not relevant here.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm sure you're right. I have gotten it to accept a line level signal through the RCA, and it even came through the speakers, which is more than i expected. It sounded treble light most certainly, but it did not have the bass heaviness that you spoke of.

However, why use a 5879 as a gain stage if it already accepts a line level signal? I thought you would need to amplify the signal only if it was quiet like a microphone... Why not just build the amp to inject the signal right before the phase inverter? Is it so that the vibrato channel works?

(btw I did try to inject a line-level signal through the center pin of the volume control right before the phase inverter and I got no sound at all...)

Thanks for reading..

Kurt

Comment

Working...
          X