Solen, Black Gate, etc for Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greg,

I'd just use the 'rule of 1/10'; bypass a 10uF with a 1uf, 22uf with 2.2uF, etc. - the precise values are totally non-critical IMO, as you're basically just combining cap characteristics, not values.

Ray

Comment

Thanks for the info - I'll give it a go!
      Greg

Comment

FWIW, I built a Marshall 1987 clone using NOS nonpolarized polypropylene in oil power supply caps (motor run caps). It sounded OK, but was a bit dead feeling, way too smooth. I replaced the poly in oil caps with JJ electrolytics, this greatly changed the sound of the amp to more of what I was expecting, which was a more aggressive edgier tone. I also built a Rt.66 with the same type caps with the same result. Both amps sounded much better with electrolytics in the power supply. It is apparently possible to make an guitar amp too smooth and tame sounding.

Now I tried the same trick on a tube stereo hi-fi amp, but went from electrolytics to poly in oil. Wow, that was a huge improvement!! So the oil caps were great in a stereo, not so good in a guitar amp. So YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by MKB View Post
          Now I tried the same trick on a tube stereo hi-fi amp, but went from electrolytics to poly in oil. Wow, that was a huge improvement!! So the oil caps were great in a stereo, not so good in a guitar amp. So YMMV.
          Shows ta go ya. There's a lot of cross-pollination to be had between hi-fi and music amps, as long as we keep in mind that at some point, the paths diverge.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
          Thom
          | sigpic Galibier Design
          | ... crafting technology in service of music
          |
          http://www.galibierdesign.com/
          |__________________________________________

Comment

Bypassing E'lytics with plastic

I finally did have the chance to try this out on my little 6 watt amp mentioned at the head of this thread. The Solens were too big, so I settled on bypassing the electrolytics with some plastic caps.

The result? I like it! It did not drastically change the feel or sound, but did in fact tighten up the lowest notes as I was hoping to do, while still retaining an organic feel.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
              but did in fact tighten up the lowest notes as I was hoping to do, while still retaining an organic feel.
              One of those realizations I had in my turntable designs - apparently translates to guitar amps ... that if you clean up and extend the highs, you'll improve the character of the bass due to the harmonic content. Typically, the bass will sound a bit quicker too.

Cheers,
              Thom
              | sigpic Galibier Design
              | ... crafting technology in service of music
              |
              http://www.galibierdesign.com/
              |__________________________________________

Comment

Yeah, I always thought it was funny how people talked of bass as having "punch" or "slam". Those subjective feelings are caused by an even reproduction of the whole frequency range, and bass by itself just throbs and rumbles. If you don't believe me, try listening to punches in a martial arts movie with everything turned off except your sub.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
                X