Super Twin Reverb Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Twin Reverb Mods

I've got a 70's Super Twin Reverb rated at 180wRMS 385Peak. Needless to say, your ears will bleed before you can overdrive this amp. Any easy mods or tips on maybe reducing the output to acheive a nice warm drive? Thanks in advance!

An easy fix would be to use an attenuator, ie THD Hotplate etc , to dial in some power tube grind. You would need a 4 Ohm Hotplate with yours. I don't know if you could pull some power tubes to lower the output or not. You could pull a pair of output tubes in a 4 tube amp to achieve that, but this baby has 6 (!) 6L6 's, so I don't know if that trick would work. Hope my limited knowledge could be of some help!

MArk

Comment

An easy fix would be to use an attenuator,

Or a distortion pedal.

Comment

Joe, there's several options.

1 pull 4 of the 6 6L6 and use 16&#937: load. For example, using your two speakers in series, instead of in parallel.

2 Doing a triode mod, thought the power gonna still be high. And thta is only possible if the B+ voltage doesn't exeed the screens ratings.

3 Lower the B+ voltage via a zenner trick.

4, which i think i gonna try one of thoses days on a 6 EL34 amp, replace the tubes by 6V6 That is if the voltage is low enough.

Comment

Sell it!! Those amps are DOGS!! High maintenance, hard to transport, NO tone (sorry, I've always despised Super Twins. They're so LAME)
          Mac/Amps
          "preserving the classics"
          Chicago, Il., USA
          (773) 283-1217
          (cell) (847) 772-2979
          Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
          www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Working...
          X