No announcement yet.

Power switch wiring (neon illuminated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power switch wiring (neon illuminated)

I'm wiring a new on/off switch to my amp (old one was cracked). I happened to have a neon green illuminated rocker This one. I'm unsure how to wire the illumination up, as it only has 3 terminals. I have the two terminals for the on/off operation, but there is a 3rd terminal that has no contact to the two others. As it shows on the page 1592 the neon illumination is 125VAC w/33kohm dropping resistor. The data sheet really isnt helpful at all.

Do I just wire a 33kOhm resistor to the 3rd tab?

The 33K goes between the 3rd terminal and the other side of the line so it will get the line voltage (125VAC). You need to know which of the other terminals is the "line" side and which is the "load" side. The other side of the light is connected to the "load" side so it will go off when the switch is in the off position.

There is a problem using this type switch with what is considered safe wiring in the US. The switch should be connected before the fuse on the hot side of the line but if the fuse blows, the light won't go out. I don't think you'll find this type switch on any UL recognized appliance with a three wire cord.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

would it be possible to connect this switch after the fuse, so that if the fuse blows the switch would be off as well? There really is no indication on which is the line/load side of the switch. Theres just 3 terminals, one in each corner. I'm assuming the half of the switch with the two terminals is the line side as you say, and the one terminal by itself is the load terminal.

Comment

Because of possible liability issues, I can't advise you to connect things anyway except the approved way. The UL guys try to protect everybody but even if you do it their way you can still be sued and lose if someone is injured somehow by your amp. Sorry if you didn't want to hear that. There are also issues having to do with which terminal of a fuse holder is connected to the line or load side. I wish someone would post a link to an appropriate reference document.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I understand the liability issues, as I work as an electronics assembly tester (no real knowledge of circuits needed for the job though.) There is really no "approved way" with the data i'm given about this switch, as theres no data for that.

We'll just use a LED indicator. No brains needed for that.

Comment

Working...
          X