New owner of a Peavey Classic 50 4X10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner of a Peavey Classic 50 4X10

Other than re-tubing it, any of you have any suggestions for this big honkin' thing ? Also, tube recommendations? I like JJ's and Eurotube sells sets for the amp.

I had a classic 50 with 2 12's, I retubed with JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes, and the biggest change to get rid of the honk was new speakers, actually I used an old set I had from a sunn amp and they were great.
    I bought a classic 30 and Bob couldn't get it to sound near as good as my 50.
    Good luck
    BDR

Comment

New speakers will go farther in this amp than new tubes, not to mention they could reduce the weight a bit. I would recommend a set of Weber AlNiCo speakers, in whatever combination best suits your musical style. I found the clean channel to be better than the drive channel, and I recommend you focus your efforts on making the clean as nice as possible and augment with pedals. If that doesn't suit you, the Steve Ahola mods are somewhat aggressive changes but evidently make the amp better.

New speakers and a nice NOS tube for V1 will do quite a bit, though. Even if you only replace two of the speakers with some 10A125s you should hear a difference. I'd go 2x 10A100 or 2x10A125, and 2x10F150, personally, but others have tried 4x10A/F125 for more of a Super Reverb type vibe.

There are about a thousand ways to skin this cat--what are you looking for in particular?

Comment

Working...
      X