Brighten up Kustom 72 Coupe lead channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brighten up Kustom 72 Coupe lead channel

I've got this amp that I built up when they sold off NOS chassis on Ebay for pretty cheap. I really like the amp, but there is a bit of a tone imbalance between the Normal and Lead channels. Normal sounds about right for balance, not Fender clean, maybe more like a Mesa Lonestar. The lead channel though sounds muffled. If I kick in the Bright switch on Lead channel it gets a little better but maybe just gets me to acceptable presence even with a pickup with lots of bite. Wondering if there is any fairly simple mods I could do to brighten up the lead channel. FWIW I have read reviews by other users of this amp that expressed similar feelings. Also maybe my speakers are not as bright as what the amps were designed for.

Looking at the schematic I am wondering about the effect of C24 if it is dumping the high freqs. As a test is there a reason I couldn't jumper the wipers of the Clean and Lead master volume pots. Thinking this would let me use either pot for the master volume, and see the effect of the capacitor, also 1M pot vs 250k.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Attached Files

SO if you wonder about C24, just remove it to see, or lift one end of R125. C19 is taking off some sizzle.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      C19 is taking off some sizzle.
      That would be a good one to lift. BTW, I did already try swapping tubes into V2 to make sure that wasn't the problem, and tubes had basically no impact.

Comment

Working...
      X