Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to add Tremolo Depth control to this old Beltone tube combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add Tremolo Depth control to this old Beltone tube combo?

Hey everyone, a friend brought over this old little Beltone combo hoping I could add a control for the tremolo depth (it currently just has a speed control). I figured it would be easy, but looking at the schematic the tremolo is like nothing I've seen before.

I'm not even sure what it's doing - varying the voltage at the first preamp section's plate?

It varies the cathode voltage (bias) of the input tube (point D).

It's a very basic circuit and I don't have a good idea for a depth control. Especially regarding increase of depth.

Reducing depth by increasing the cathode impedance of the LFO tube bears the risk of stopping the LFO..
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-22-2020, 12:28 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Try this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beltone.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	920604

Comment

Originally posted by dmeek View Post
        Try this

Name:	Beltone.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	920604
        Hi demeek, thanks for the suggestion but I'm pretty sure I tried an equivalent of this circuit when I removed the power switch and 35k resistor that bridges it, replacing with a 50k potentiometer. Turning the potentiometer basically either completely killed the LFO, or had it start up at it's normal depth. So it didn't attenuate at all unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by waspclothes View Post
          Turning the potentiometer basically either completely killed the LFO, or had it start up at it's normal depth. So it didn't attenuate at all unfortunately.
          That's what I meant in post #2.
          The LFO tube needs to see a low impedance between its cathode and ground. Otherwise its gain drops and the oscillation stops.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

How about using a dual pot like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	scan0002.gif Views:	0 Size:	19.1 KB ID:	920819

Or this with a single pot

Name:	scan0003.gif
Views:	366
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	920821
            Last edited by dmeek; 12-22-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

While the proposals above might work to some extent (the LFO might need an own cathode bypass cap), both will considerably vary the biasing of both tubes.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If you just need to reduce the tremolo depth, you might try to increase the value of the 10΅ cathode cap. This should smooth out some of the modulation.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-24-2020, 01:57 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I just wanted to report back that I tried all suggestions, including a few guesses of my own but none worked. The tremolo oscillator just dies completely when trying to reduce the depth in any of these ways. Anyways, this is beyond me - I told my friend it's not an easy mod like I had hoped, he's not concerned. For what it's worth, this amp sounds great.. but I agree with my buddy here, the tremolo depth is way too deep by default.

Comment

Originally posted by waspclothes View Post
                    I just wanted to report back that I tried all suggestions, including a few guesses of my own but none worked. The tremolo oscillator just dies completely when trying to reduce the depth in any of these ways. Anyways, this is beyond me - I told my friend it's not an easy mod like I had hoped, he's not concerned. For what it's worth, this amp sounds great.. but I agree with my buddy here, the tremolo depth is way too deep by default.
                    Did you try to double the value of the 10΅ cathode cap?
                    I'm sure this won't stop the LFO.
                    I've actually seen circuits that use a 20΅ in this place.
                    If 20΅ or 22΅ is too much, just add smaller value caps (2.2΅or 4.7΅) to the 10΅.
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-26-2020, 08:00 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Did you try to double the value of the 10΅ cathode cap?
                      I'm sure this won't stop the LFO.
                      I've actually seen circuits that use a 20΅ in this place.
                      If 20΅ or 22΅ is too much, just add smaller value caps (2.2΅or 4.7΅) to the 10΅.
                      I did, i swapped it out with a 25uF cap. I couldn't see a difference on the scope really, but I got the feeling it sort of helped (it didn't make it worse at least!) so I left it in.

Comment

Working...
                      X