Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper pipe tube shields

Evening all,

I have some 22mm copper pipe. I am thinking of making some tube shields. Has anyone done this? Is there any reason why not? By the way, this is for an amp head build with tubes pointing up, so no need to include a retaining spring.

interested in your views.

Cheers

Steve

I'd say, why not?

Just make sure the shields make reliable ground contact (if not grounded they won't shield) and don't rattle.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

No reason it wouldn't work. I will say that I have to believe, for what copper is selling for these days, you could sell the pipe, buy premade shields, and be ahead of the game.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        No reason it wouldn't work. I will say that I have to believe, for what copper is selling for these days, you could sell the pipe, buy premade shields, and be ahead of the game.
        ha ha!
        Fancy buying some copper pipe?

Comment

Tube shields cost about £ 0.80 including the base to screw to the socket. Few things are cheaper...

Comment

Copper pipe is thick. You can ask a cnc workshop to engrave some pretty on it. Lacquered and put some bucks in you pocket into a mini series collection...
            "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Rivet your tube sockets to the chassis with copper rivets. Then you can tack solder the copper pipe to the rivets. Only downside is changing a tube.

Comment

Anyhow, there are some functional consideration by my opinion as follow: copper is best to absorb heat not to disipe. For heat dissipation aluminium is best.
                "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
                  For heat dissipation aluminium is best.
                  Based on what?

Copper is a far better heat conductor than aluminum. And heat radiation depends on surface emission properties. Copper is certainly superior to bare aluminum.
                  But tube shields are not used for heat sinking.
                  Actually they impede convection cooling.
                  As the name says, they are for shielding (against EMI and unwanted electrical coupling). And for that purpose any conductive material works in the audio range.
                  Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-08-2021, 10:43 PM.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Blackdog View Post

ha ha!
                    Fancy buying some copper pipe?
                    Nope, but most scrap yards would.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                    X