Laney VC30 Parallel Effects Loop to Series Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney VC30 Parallel Effects Loop to Series Modification

I'm looking to use the preamp of this amp with the power amp of my Marshall in order to get some different sounds and increased power delivery.

Can you foresee any calamities if I simply remove R42 and use the FX send as a preamp out? Are D4,5 simply there to bias U3b?

R42 is a surface-mount component on the underside of the board, so I'm asking in advance of having to extract the board and other general fluffing around.
    Attached Files

I have removed the resistor for a few customers over the years never had issues or complaint
    Mr A

Comment

The diodes serve no bias function, note they are reverse biased as wired. This diode arrangement is fairly common, it protects the inputs of U3b from any spikes coming in from the send jack that might push an input pin beyond the power supply rail. The IC would see any such as a reverse voltage that could damage the IC.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. I have not yet tried it. I put this on hold unfortunately due to quite severe Meniere's symptoms. On the bright side, I'm still breathing.

Comment

Working...
        X