ampeg v4 - two adjustable biases for each output set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ampeg v4 - two adjustable biases for each output set

I have a v4 with an adjustable bias I added. I added a pair of 6550s - I got the amp with only one pair - and the two bias differently. One pair runs a lot hotter than the other so my thinking is the create a second bias supply on perf board and run that to say V7/8 and the stock to V5/6. That way each set can be biased to get the best dissipation.

The bias circuit in my amp more closely resembles this schematic:

https://www.ampegv4.com/images/schematics/V4B.jpg

I'm thinking I remove the output of the stock bias where it goes to R35 and R36. With the stock bias control feeding R35 and the added bias to R36.

I'd have the input for the second bias coming off the diode bride - right before C16. The ground to ground and the output to R36.

Would that work?

IDK, this schematic might help you somehow!
    Also, would adding a small resistor on cathode A skew the one side a tad? If wrong side more to next output tube.

Also with my former VT22s, adding that B+ tap thing for DC heater inject works so killer. Finally the awesome reverb loses that extra gain stage of hum and goes dark but the decay becomes clearer. Less hum majorly overall.
    Finally, easiest amp to add effects loop to- maybe one wire.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
      IDK, this schematic might help you somehow!
      There should be a series resistor between each pot and ground. This will prevent anyone from adjusting the bias to zero volts which will cause redplating and kill the tubes.

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
      Finally the awesome reverb loses that extra gain stage of hum and goes dark but the decay becomes clearer. Less hum majorly overall.
      No idea what you mean by this, could you clarify?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

So would my bias idea work?

Comment

Working...
        X