Peavey Butcher - What mod is this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Butcher - What mod is this???

Hello. not really good at doing anything with amp electronics except simple mods with clear instructions, or small repairs. Basically I got this old school peavey butcher and I would like to know what the previous owner did to this. It looks like they connected something from the middle preamp tube to r20 ideas??

Schematic: https://irationaudio.com/2015/09/25/peavey-butcher/
    Attached Files

It could be a factory installed part. What makes you think it is a mod the previous owner installed?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I've seen a few other photos of people's butchers and none of them have this and also, it doesn't show it on the schematic

Comment

Originally posted by liamfossaluzza View Post
        it doesn't show it on the schematic
        So where exactly would it be located on the schematic? Which tube is that, V6?

I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          So where exactly would it be located on the schematic? Which tube is that, V6?
          B+ bypass?

Comment

PIn 3 to ground.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              PIn 3 to ground.
              Yeah thats it! I was looking at the wrong trace.

Comment

It is a cathode follower circuit. It is connected between pin 7 (connected to pin 1) and ground. It must be V6.

Comment

PIn 3 to ground.
                  I don't think it is to ground, I think it is to the other side of R20 (which is almost ground since R20 is only 47 ohms). If you look at the layout the P2A node on the other side of R20 is "true" ground.

I can't make out the value for sure, seems a little big to be just for stability, maybe a tone-tamer to drop some high frequecies off?
                  Attached Files

Comment

SO look closer, where does that other end of the 47 ohm connect? Preamp ground. Note the line goes straight to chassis down through P1A/B. Yes, both ends of the 47 ohm are grounds. Peavey has multiple grounds in this circuit, like they often do, and the resistor keeps them linked.

I did say pin 3 didn't I? I meant pin 7.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

SO look closer, where does that other end of the 47 ohm connect? Preamp ground. Note the line goes straight to chassis down through P1A/B. Yes, both ends of the 47 ohm are grounds. Peavey has multiple grounds in this circuit, like they often do, and the resistor keeps them linked.
                      I see that now.

Comment

So it's from the CF plate/grid (V6 pin1 and 7) to ground. Appears to be .047uF ? from the picture but I can't be sure.
                        Some complain about these amps being bright/harsh sounding so I would think this mod attempts to take a bit of the fizz out.

Comment

Yes, or maybe to get rid of oscillation.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

From what I can interpret it appears to be a 470pF / 3KV ceramic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ceramic.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	928362

Comment

Working...
                            X