Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa dual rectifier pots

Hello!

Do you know what brand and type of potenciometers Mesa boogie uses in Dual rectifiers?

Is a audio taper the same as log type?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Rod View Post
    Do you know what brand and type of potenciometers Mesa boogie uses in Dual rectifiers?

IIRC they are Alpha 16mm diameter pots. Some may argue there's a difference between audio & log taper, but it's academic at this point. IOW they can be considered the same for amplifier purposes. FWIW Mesa is good at supplying parts for repairs for their amps. Mouser at one time had a good selection of 16 mm pots, now I'm not so sure. Antique/tubesandmore.com does have some but not every value.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Some may argue there's a difference between audio & log taper, but it's academic at this point. IOW they can be considered the same for amplifier purposes.
      This couldn't farther from the truth. NO, they can not be considered the same for amplifier purposes!

The gain pot in DR is a 5% taper log pot which has VERY different "feel" and useful range than regular log pots (usually 20% taper). A linear pot would have an useful range from zero to 8 o'çlock which means it's a no go. Same applies for Peavey 5150.
      Maybe in some amps you can use linear pots where usually log pots are used but not in high gain amps.

Comment

Audio taper doesn't mean linear taper. Rather it comprises several variations of the standard 10% log taper.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=8706.0
          Are Audio Taper CW/CCW the same as LOG/RLOG?

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Potentiometers/
          Potentiometers

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm
          The Secret Life of Pots

It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by GainFreak View Post

This couldn't farther from the truth. NO, they can not be considered the same for amplifier purposes!

The gain pot in DR is a 5% taper log pot which has VERY different "feel" and useful range than regular log pots (usually 20% taper). A linear pot would have an useful range from zero to 8 o'çlock which means it's a no go. Same applies for Peavey 5150.
            Maybe in some amps you can use linear pots where usually log pots are used but not in high gain amps.
            I don't see where anyone suggested using a linear taper pot in place of a log pot?

"I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It seemd that no one in europe has the following pots:

- CH3 PRESENCE: 16mm, 25K, .594 shaft, linear taper (MESA/Boogie part no. 590737);
              - CH3 GAIN: 16mm, 1M, .594 shaft, 20% audio taper (MESA/Boogie part no. 590792);

At least i dont find no one, where i can buy this pots.

Comment

It seemd that no one in europe has the following pots:

- CH3 PRESENCE: 16mm, 25K, .594 shaft, linear taper (MESA/Boogie part no. 590737);
                - CH3 GAIN: 16mm, 1M, .594 shaft, 20% audio taper (MESA/Boogie part no. 590792);

At least i dont find no one, where i can buy this pots
                You're not looking good.

try a little harder ... ...
                https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/pot-590792-16mm-1m-594-shaft-20-taper.html
                It's All Over Now

Comment

He said, "in europe".

Where in Europe, we don't know and are left to guess, since there is no location in his profile.
                  Last edited by The Dude; 04-22-2021, 11:02 PM.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

[QUOTE=The Dude;n929644]I don't see where anyone suggested using a linear taper pot in place of a log pot?[QUOTE]

Originally posted by Helmholtz
                    Audio taper doesn't mean linear taper. Rather it comprises several variations of the standard 10% log taper.
                    Thank you Helmholtz & The Dude.

I KNEW someone would misunderstand & respond accordingly. There's no question, linear vs log definitely are not equivalent.

As far as audio or log taper, in the real world of what's available beggars can't be choosers. If you're ordering $50,000+ in pots from a manufacturer, sure you can specify 5%, 10%, 15% whatever, and maybe you get what you asked for. But when you're shopping onesies & twosies for a repair or project, you're stuck with what the suppliers offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                      IIRC they are Alpha 16mm diameter pots.
                      In a pinch, I have fitted 24mm pots to Mesa's "Rectifier" amps. Much to the chagrin of anybody who insists it's not the right thing to do. To them I say, don't look inside. And don't watch sausage being made. When the correct parts are scarce or unobtainium, compromises must be made. "Purists," get over it.

Might even have to ream the mounting hole a little to fit the pot bushing through... oh the horror!

Comment

Where in Europe

Click image for larger version

Name:	International Sales.GIF
Views:	549
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	929672
                        https://store.mesaboogie.com/pages/shipping-returns.html#International-Sales

It's All Over Now

Comment

Alpha 16mm. solid shaft works perfect on Rectifiers. The only added requirement is to center them well since their thread has a slightly smaller diameter than the originals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pot.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	929680

Comment

Wavelength Distribution is the place I buy Mesa parts from in the UK. I've bought dozens of pots from them. Technically no longer Europe. though.

Comment

Working...
                            X