Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Mods - What are your Favourite Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Zollner calls it duty-cycle asymmetry, where duty-cycle means the time percentage of the signal cycle (or period) the power tube is conducting current.
    So class A means 100% duty-cycle and class AB means between 50% and 100%.

With increasing signal the operating points and average plate voltages of the LTPI triodes shift asymmetrically.
    The changing PI plate potentials charge the coupling caps and cause the grid bias to shift differently for both power tubes.
    This is a dynamic effect involving relatively long time constants.
    With beginning grid conduction the effect gets intensified (and eventually leads to blocking distortion).
    Yes. And I observe it in preamp reactions as well. I remember some posts here (by more than one member) wanting to emulate the grungy tone that Neil Young gets from his Fender Deluxe. Grid conduction in the preamp was cited in these posts. There may be something to letting this happen (to some degree) rather than trying to utterly eliminate it. As I mentioned, tone is a subjective matter. But there are certain elements that get more attention and I think that merits investigation
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Didn't want to let a good thread die . Anyone ever use the LO input ? How about taking it out and putting one of those treble peaking caps on a switch for a "Bright " switch ? Easy to do . Easy to undo .

Comment

Working...
      X