SWR early amp phantom blocker mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWR early amp phantom blocker mod

Older SWR amps were built before phantom power became a common feature to mixer boards, hence they lack protection against phantom power on the DI out XLR. I’ve done some research and have a few build ideas from the attached pdf , but is the bare bones basic phantom power blocker as easy as 2 capacitors on pins 2 and 3 of the xlr out, positive to the board? I have some 47uf 60v caps I can use. Thanks in advance. Phantom Blocker.pdf

Originally posted by chrisdski View Post
    is the bare bones basic phantom power blocker as easy as 2 capacitors on pins 2 and 3 of the xlr out, positive to the board?
    Resistors should also be used. As mentioned in your attachment as well as here: https://www.instructables.com/Phanto...namic-Microph/

Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Excellent descriptions of the components used, thanks. Does the level of capacitance matter? I see they are using 100uf.
      Last edited by chrisdski; 01-12-2023, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Too low of capacitance will start limiting the frequency response. The first circuit you posted uses 10uF. I think your 47uF will be fine.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Here is the build installed in a SWR Strawberry Blonde amp head. I mounted it via an existing PCB screw mount. Works great.

Comment

Working...
          X