Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ES225 View Post
    I don't understand what you are saying.
    I just suggested to check you amp with other speakers..There are certain speakers who ringing on hights like crazy. If is happen to have one of this no compensation may solve you problem.
    An ice pick, as much as I understand that term meant, is a resonance. You must try to damp it not to shape the freq response as much it will cut off the high harmonic content, if wanna get rid of it.
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 04-17-2023, 06:39 AM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Increasing the value of the 0.001µ coupling cap should slightly increase bass response down from 60Hz.
      But as the lowest frequency of a guitar is around 80Hz the effect is likely inaudible.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The area g1 suggested must not be the spot. Any cap I but in there makes the amp not omit any sound.
        I soldered a .01 and also tried a .001 in the same spot as the 100k resistor.
        The cap goes in parallel (across) the resistor. It does not replace the resistor.

Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

g1 - What happened was that I installed a cap, which I think was too large and it cut the signal. I was going by some previous advice.
          When I replace the existing 500p caps at V1 with 1000p caps I got the result I wanted. I can actually play the amp loud now and it does not hurt my ears.
          It all has to do with what frequencies are hitting the ear. Removing those 500P caps actually added to the ice pick traits of this amp. Made it worse.

Comment

When I replace the existing 500p caps at V1 with 1000p caps I got the result I wanted. I can actually play the amp loud now and it does not hurt my ears.
            It all has to do with what frequencies are hitting the ear. Removing those 500P caps actually added to the ice pick traits of this amp. Made it worse.
            That is what should have happened. No one suggested removing them, Helmholtz had suggested changing them to 1nF (1000pF).
            Glad to hear you got the result you wanted.

Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yep. The idea was to add capacitance, not completely remove it.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                Increasing the value of the 0.001µ coupling cap should slightly increase bass response down from 60Hz.
                But as the lowest frequency of a guitar is around 80Hz the effect is likely inaudible.
                I am in awe of your knowledge. I did not change this cap based on your info. The amp is great now based on your other suggestions, which I followed. It is finally voiced properly. I don't think the production model was finalized correctly.
                Helmholtz, I did send you a private message but sadly you did not reply. Maybe you did not see it.
                I had another request for info. This amp is high gain, with a Master, as you know and it is crying out for an FX loop. Can you or anyone here knowledgeable help me install one.
                Is it even possible? I read that its difficult to make FX loops sound good and its not so simple. Again, I am just learning all this stuff as I go along. I do find it fascinating.

Comment

FYI: There are various effects loop kits available on the web. Here's just one example:

https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Di...SABEgLf1PD_BwE
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Helmholtz, I did send you a private message but sadly you did not reply. Maybe you did not see it.
                    I did reply to your PM a week ago.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                    X