Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need of standby switch with solid-state rectifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need of standby switch with solid-state rectifier?

Hi all.
    I have found a solid-state rectifier in my parts box. It is a direct replacement for 5AR4, 5U4 and 5Y3 tubes, named T-SSR01.
    I guess I never used it so far.
    I was thinking to try it in two of my vintage amps:
    a 5F2A clone by ValveTrain (1x12AX7, 1x6V6, 5Y3), and a Gibson GA-18T (2x12AX7, 2x6V6, 5Y3).
    Is it true that I need a standby switch in order to use a solid-state rectifier to allow for proper gradual heating of the power tubes and avoid "cathode stripping"?
    I recall reading this warning somewhere.
    I don't intend to install a standby switch anyway, so if it would be needed I'd simply drop my trial.
    Thanks in advance.
    --Carlo
    Carlo Pipitone

I have some of those. In these there are only diodes and I have seen recommendations for using a standby switch for those since there is no limiting resistor built into it.
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Here's a good article (that talks about cathode stripping) on the subject.

https://valvewizard.co.uk/standby.html
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Here's a good article (that talks about cathode stripping) on the subject. https://valvewizard.co.uk/standby.html
        Yes! Actually more than good. It's excellent real electronics information far more useful than the faulty internet lore that keeps circulating.

Comment

Thank you for the link, but I am afraid it doesn't really answer my question (but I am not an expert or a tech by any means).
          That article says that standby swirches are overrated and how a standby swich should be positioned and installed in a circuit, but doesn't say it is needed when a tube rectifier is replaced by a ss rectifier.
          Or should I assume that, if sb switches are almost useless, I do not need one when using a ss rectifer?
          Carlo Pipitone

Comment

The article explains that a standby switch is neither needed nor beneficial for tube life - regardless of rectifier type.
            Also be warned that using the SS rectifier is likely to increase B+ and power tube dissipation.​
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thank you Helmholtz.
              Should I decide to try the ss rectifier I will check the power tubes bias.
              Carlo Pipitone

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                The article explains that a standby switch is neither needed nor beneficial for tube life - regardless of rectifier type.
                Also be warned that using the SS rectifier is likely to increase B+ and power tube dissipation.​
                And... Depending on the amp in question there's also the possibility that higher voltages before the amp is drawing significant current (cold filaments) could exceed the rating of the power supply capacitors.

And thinking about it... In this instance wouldn't using the standby switch be beneficial? I know there's nothing the switch can do to isolate any caps on the hot end of the switch. But some amps, old Fenders for example, often used a higher voltage rated main filter followed by lower voltage rated circuits or components.

EDIT: Ok, I just read Merlins essay. While it does give a nod to the issue I mentioned above (right up to mentioning the use of a higher voltage reservoir cap behind the switch) it's pretty clear that standby switches are basically a bad idea. So it's only a maybe to use the switch depending on power supply cap voltage ratings. How the tubes and their bias condition will be affected by higher voltage seems like the bigger issue here than whether or not to use the standby switch. A safe operating condition for the tubes should be determined before putting in the diode rectifier (Thank you again Helmholtz).
                Last edited by Chuck H; 01-25-2024, 02:30 PM.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X