No announcement yet.

Fender Princeton ----> Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen this with a few pro players who have back up amps that may respond differently. They will find the spot where a backup amp(s) sounds the same as their main amp, and just use the knob set screws to rotate knobs to a position that "reads" the same. The "logic" is that every amp is set the same according to knob position and the player doesn't need to remember different settings for different amps to get the same sound.
    A bit difficult to explain. I hope that makes sense.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post

There is MORE logic. More like nefarious plotting. A friend of mine a few years back asked me to reposition her knobs on the Bassman 100 she was playing through after the sound person at church kept asking where her Volume was at. So she asked me to reposition "7" at "4" so she could tell the sound guy & if he came to check, well, there ya go. Sneaky trick.

Jusrin
      God I've missed you. This is classic Justin and I love it
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        I've seen this with a few pro players who have back up amps that may respond differently. They will find the spot where a backup amp(s) sounds the same as their main amp, and just use the knob set screws to rotate knobs to a position that "reads" the same. The "logic" is that every amp is set the same according to knob position and the player doesn't need to remember different settings for different amps to get the same sound.
        A bit difficult to explain. I hope that makes sense.
        The human condition is a funny (and sometimes "circumstance specific") thing. Your recognition is the exact reason I edited my post above. Being all aspergers and weird I sometimes miss the subtleties of cutural interaction as it works for others. Only as I age do I recognize the need to acknowledge this so I don't insult anyone

EDIT: Sometimes I actualy do manage to not offend anyone
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

FWIW: Your post #3 was spot on. I would have liked it more than once, if possible. I was thinking exactly the same when I read the OP, but you beat me to a response and stated everything perfectly.

Comment

How about some real expensive little "magic dot" stickers that the user can put on their controls to mark the settings.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
              My friend does not want the amp to distort until 7 while playing his Jazzmaster through it.

What if I increase decreased the feedback resistor? The FB resistor on this amp is 2.2k as opposed to 820 ohms that I have seen on other Fender amps.
              When at some vol. setting the amp starts break up/distort, this means that at signal peaks the max. clean power is exceeded.
              As max. clean output is a hard limit (mainly depending on power tube plate and screen voltages), changing the NFB won't increase clean headroom.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-30-2024, 10:52 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

My friend and fellow amp tech told me that if I put a more sensitive speaker in the amp it may break up EARLIER rather than the later I was hoping to achieve. Is this correct.

BTW, while doing mods I will check the waveform with a scope and A/B the before and after.

Comment

My friend and fellow amp tech told me that if I put a more sensitive speaker in the amp it may break up EARLIER rather than the later I was hoping to achieve. Is this correct.
                  No, a speaker with a higher sensitivity will not change the break-up point of the amp but will be louder.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If he was talking about actual speaker breakup, that may be correct. This assumes that both speakers break up at the same SPL.
                    But I doubt it is speaker breakup that is the issue, more likely amp breakup.
                    So agree with Helmholtz, a more sensitive speaker will be louder at the point of amp breakup, which is what I think you want.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      ... even though zero and ten no longer line up...
                      And we must remember that the common Fender witch hat knob does not have a zero. However, I think many of us see it in our imagination.

Comment

Funny thing is people buy and LOVE Princeton's *precisely* because they get crunch and sustain at a more manageable level.

Also some Guitar Gods prefer them for "recording* , for the same reason, a more relaxed experience at the Studio.

He's complaining at the main _feature_ this amp has.
                        Why did he buy this one in the first place?

Ok, if he has a "number fetish", you can add a resistive attenuator; 470k in series with volume pot, another 470k in parallel with it, it should roughly give him what he wants.

You may add a mini toggle switch by the volume control, setting attenuator in/out of circuit.
                        You can label it "clean/boost" if you wish.
                        Or add a pull switch volume control.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hi Juan! Good to see you back here!

Comment

Gee, thanks.!,
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

My friend does not want the amp to distort until 7 while playing his Jazzmaster through it.

What if I increase decreased the feedback resistor? The FB resistor on this amp is 2.2k as opposed to 820 ohms that I have seen on other Fender amps.

Schematic: PRINCETON_REVERB_bf_AB1270.pdf
                              Provided you / he understands that the amp won't actually be any louder at 7 than it used to be at 5, then yes, you could try reducing that resistor value.
                              820R may be a reduction too far, it could cause stability issues. As a first try, I suggest to try about halving it, eg 1k or 1k2.
                              Bear in mind that it might reduce the tremolo depth available.
                              And might change the tone a bit too.

Overall it may not be any more useful than plugging into the padded, lower gain input socket.

I thought of this recent thread, in which a Princeton Reverb build with an upgraded output transformer was too clean.
                              It's quite possible there were other reasons causing that.
                              https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=31600.0
                              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                                I thought of this recent thread, in which a Princeton Reverb build with an upgraded output transformer was too clean..
                                Was it ever confirmed that the OT made the difference?
                                If so, the "upgraded" OT might have lower impedance.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X