I have a Sunn Solarus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Sunn Solarus

I own a Sunn Solarus combo guitar amp with 2- 12" speakers and a spring reverb. I also have the schematic. It is in good condition but it isn't working because it needs tubes and repaired. I have had this amp for about 15 years but never had a need to use it, so I never had it repaired. I always had another amp that I played out with. Now I am moving and I am not sure whether I should sell it or hang on to it. I also was wondering what it would be worth as it is or if I get it repaired?

From your description I would guess you have a 40W model with EL34's and a 7199 driver tube. Probably the 68 all in one model where the head is attached to the speaker cabinet. Hard to put a price on it when it's not in operable condition and no mention of how it looks. Not many comparables on ebay, only about one a year come up for auction. Just a guess, $100 to $250 if not operable depending on how much rust and corrosion. Mint condition and sounding good... $500 or more. It would be good to determine what's wrong with it.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Info on my Sunn Solarus

I am looking at the schematic for the Sunn Solarus that I have and it says 190L at the top of the page. It shows that it takes 1- 12AX7 pre amp tube, 1- 12AU7 reverb amp tube, 1- 6AN8A phase inverter tube and 2- 6550 output tubes. It actually lists all parts that are in this amp including diodes, rectifiers, tubes, transistors, transformers, filter capacitors, reverb tray, switches, controls, circuit breaker, jacks, module, cabinet hardware and voltage of all controls. It also calls this model a Sceptre/Solarus 190L. Does that help to define exactly what model or wattage that this amp actually is? This amp is in really good condition with no missing screws, or parts (other than the 2- 6550 output tubes. The speakers just say Sunn Company Speakers labeled on them. There is very little rust, I could easily take it off with a little bit of fine guaged steel wool. The cones on the speakers are good and I can feel that they will work fine! So, should I keep it or should I sell it? Other than the tubes, I would think that the caps would need changed because of age.

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
        From your description I would guess you have a 40W model with EL34's and a 7199 driver tube. Probably the 68 all in one model where the head is attached to the speaker cabinet. Hard to put a price on it when it's not in operable condition and no mention of how it looks. Not many comparables on ebay, only about one a year come up for auction. Just a guess, $100 to $250 if not operable depending on how much rust and corrosion. Mint condition and sounding good... $500 or more. It would be good to determine what's wrong with it.
        Thank you very much LoudThud! I entered more info on this amp!

Comment

The 190L is a later amp. It probably came out between 1972 and 1974. It should be very close to what you have but, the big difference will be the driver-phase inverter tube. Does your amp have a 6AN8A or the 7199? There should be a small piece of paper glued into the amp cabinet on the end where the power switch is that will tell you what tubes the amp should have. Amps that are wired for a 7199 won't work with a 6AN8A.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I recently rebuilt one for a guy in Doylestown PA.
            Weird creature with ss reverb and trem, sounded pretty good after I got it tuned up but the Sunn stuff doesn't usually fetch much money.
            I'd fix it and use it, but I play alot.
            You should pop in the output tubes and go from there.

Comment

The 7199 PI went with the EL34s, they used the 6AN8 when the amp used KT88s originally.

Most of the circuits were the same in the Sunn amps of the old era, with a higher and lowr power version. The power tubes and transformers would be as appropriate, plus that PI tube.

I don't know if they changed the formula later.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Thank you very much for your help and information on the Sunn Solarus amp that I own. I think that I will take your advice and get it fixed and use it. Since I won't be able to get much money for it if I try to sell it, I may as well get it fixed and use it! I have always loved tube amps as I have always had Fender Twins and Deluxes and am now playing through a Peavey Valveking because of the variety of music that I am playing including heavy stuff! It is a fantastic amp! I guess that I will just use pedals with the Sunn Solarus or play it clean for jazz or blues stuff! Thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
                X