Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner of Sunn 200s, needing advice about repair

Hi,
    Well, in looking for a small 2x15 bass cab to leave at my practice space, I ended up with a sunn 200s head with cab, in pretty good shape too. The head doesn't work at this time, although tubes light up, the 12ax7 does not light up. I'm in Portland, oregon, and I'm beginning to research about this amp, and where to take it, and just how much to spend fixing it, is too much. The issue is there is no sound at all produced from the amp. This amp has been very hard to find any real information on, but I guess its "who you ask". So, I'm here, in this forum. I'm mechanicly inclined, but still feel I'm "beginner" in electronics, so please type slow.

1. I believe it is a dynaco mark 3 amp base with a preamp that has low and high boost switches, with bass, treble, and volume dials, with a standby and power switch. These dials are located at the top of the amp.

2. Any information on value of the amp & cab would be nice, although I'm NOT getting rid of it. I can't wait to play my Rick 4003 through it. I only need this info so I don't spend way too much just to fix it.

3. Other Portlanders that have Sunn amps, any advice you may have about repair technicians will be greatly appreciated.

4. Are there any mods I should have done to this amp while getting it worked on? Or should I be wary of amp techs that are trying to convince me of things that I don't need to mess with...? ie, upgrades...

5. Thanks, for all your help on this forum.
    Last edited by maxbus; 09-23-2009, 03:24 AM.

The real Sunn freaks hang out at: The sunn Discussion Page - Index

Is that a picture of you amp in your Avatar? Strictly speaking, that's not a 200S. It looks like a 240-C-60 (if it has JBL D140s). A very rare 1966 model. The speaker cabinet may be a later model, actually from a 200S. The logo from the speaker is missing. Are the holes from the missing logo the same pattern as the logo on the amp, or a much smaller pattern? You need to determine if the speakers are JBL D130s or D140s. D140s have ribs on the cone and are bass speakers. D130s have no ribs and are guitar speakers. Or pull the back off the cab and look at the back of the speakers. Snap a picture of the inside of the cabinet.

Your best resource is Bob who runs Euro-tubes. He will fix you up or refer you to someone who can. Eurotubes
    Attached Files
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I realize now I may have posted this in the wrong section, if this thread should be shifted to the proper page, that's fine with me.
      I've done a little research, but the only original add I could find with a model number was on the "sunn shack" website. And his add was so small in size, I couldn't make out the correct model info.
      I agree about the model of the head, and the fact that the cab may be later. I think the holes from the name plate on the cab may be a bit smaller than the head. I was worried about the head at first, as the old tolex doesn't match the tolex on the cab. The head almost seemed to be redone, but I'm thinking it wasn't now. I've taken some pretty good pics to share. The speakers in the cab are wasted, and I'm assuming not original. Although they old super old and crusty, so,,, maybe,,,? I would be open to reconing them if they are worth it.
      Two days before I found this amp, I scored a pair of 15" Realistics built in 1982 or sumthin,, Bought them($20) from the original owner that hardly ever used them. The speakers in perfect shape, and have a bell shaped mag cover, and aluminum center cones, so they are in the Sunn cab now, and look correct for the time being.
      I've noted that many of these cabs are refered to have "folded horn" or something to that effect. Not sure what that means, but my cab is straight forward with just two speakers. It has all original feet, corners, and what look to be original wheels.
      I'll try to attach pics now.
      Attached Files

Comment

More pics.
        I wonder about the wood piece that the speakers mount to. It seems to be pitchboard, so it may not be original? I'm ok with these issues for now, I only want to treat this gear with the respect that it deserves and seek out the proper tech that will do no harm. I will set out to locate Bob from JJ tubes, and show him the amp, and get his opinion on where it should go... (I'll ignore his comments about the fact that it "should" go into his collection).. heh..
        See the tag on the back of the preamp? "sunn 1124". Production/model number? not sure. The speakers are toast, square magnets,, never saw those before, anyone got an idea?
        Attached Files

Comment

cab pics. Crusty speakers out, other vintage speakers in. The cab sounds great, even being pushed with that little 20 or so watt amp. Lots of bass, and crazy good break up.
          Attached Files

Comment

I could help you with that amp, or perhaps Conrad (the guy who made it originally) could. We're both in the Portland area, and RICs do sound GREAT thru sounds too! Send me a pm if you want more info.

greg

Comment

Working...
            X