Coliseum 300 Bass schematic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coliseum 300 Bass schematic?

I've got one of these on the bench right now with a burned up R11 on the preamp board. Can't make out the value.

People have sent me the operators' manual, which has a block diagram but no schematic, and the service manual for the older Coliseum Bass, but I need the service info for the early '80's Coliseum 300 Bass.

Fender has so far not been able to locate anything.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it might save a good ol' Sunn from the wrecking ball.
    -Erik
    Euthymia Electronics
    Alameda, CA USA
    Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Sunn 300 R11

What does R11 do?
    How is the circuit configured.
    Maybe we can reverse engineer the value.

Comment

Look closer to the top of the index page, where it says SUnn Discussion Page. That leads to a separate forum. Try posting over ther as well as here.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

R11 on the preamp is a 4.7K between the minus side of C6 and IC3 pin 2. Just a resistor in the compressor circuit, shouldn't be enough voltage in a +/-15V preamp to burn it up. In the power amp there is an R10 and an R12... R11 might have been from a previous revision.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks, loudthud.

This amp had its +15V rail blown out somehow.

The TL072 on the input board was charred and cracked, and a couple of the 10uF/25V lytics on the preamp board were exploded.

The pass transistor and 15V zener for the 15V regulation on the main PCB were shorted as well.

Something bad happened on that 15V line!
          -Erik
          Euthymia Electronics
          Alameda, CA USA

Comment

Originally posted by Euthymia View Post
            Thanks, loudthud.

This amp had its +15V rail blown out somehow.

The TL072 on the input board was charred and cracked, and a couple of the 10uF/25V lytics on the preamp board were exploded.

The pass transistor and 15V zener for the 15V regulation on the main PCB were shorted as well.

Something bad happened on that 15V line!
            That makes sense. The +/- 15V regulators run pretty hot and are prone to failure. They really need heat sinks.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I've installed a 4K7 at R11, so we'll see what happens on the bulb.

I just noticed that R114 is missing from the PCB.

Don't know if it was not installed or if it melted its joints and dropped out.

Any idea on the value of R114 or if it's even supposed to be there at all?
              -Erik
              Euthymia Electronics
              Alameda, CA USA

Comment

Working...
              X