1971 Sunn 4x12 Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 Sunn 4x12 Cab

I picked up this Sunn Cab. Construction looks good. Normal wear of the tolex. I haven't tested it yet. It's missing a 1/4 jack and most the screws for the back panel. Should I expect much from early 70's Eminence alnico speakers?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by tigerzilly View Post
    I picked up this Sunn Cab. Construction looks good. Normal wear of the tolex. I haven't tested it yet. It's missing a 1/4 jack and most the screws for the back panel. Should I expect much from early 70's Eminence alnico speakers?
    Screws missing? Heck, Wiliams' Lumber is right down the street...

There's only one way to find out if those Eminences are your cuppa tea or not. Hook it up to your favorite amp & let 'er rip. Plenty of folks liked both alnico & ceramic Eminence, also their predecessors CTS. Both found mostly as factory-installs in many amp brands of the day. Sunn cabs w/ CTS/Eminence, Leslie West & Felix Pappalardi stacked piles of 'em on stage - Mountain fans approved the tone.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Screws missing? Heck, Wiliams' Lumber is right down the street...

There's only one way to find out if those Eminences are your cuppa tea or not. Hook it up to your favorite amp & let 'er rip. Plenty of folks liked both alnico & ceramic Eminence, also their predecessors CTS. Both found mostly as factory-installs in many amp brands of the day. Sunn cabs w/ CTS/Eminence, Leslie West & Felix Pappalardi stacked piles of 'em on stage - Mountain fans approved the tone.

You're right. So close I can ride my bike there. I had four screws. I hooked it up to my Mannys Marshall JCM800 conversion. I couldn't believe how good the cab sounds. More low end than I thought imaginable. The dimension of the cab is much deeper than a typical 4x12. That may have something to do with it.
      Last edited by tigerzilly; 04-16-2021, 01:15 AM.

Comment

FYI, the stock cab is rated at 4 Ohms 240 Watts.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
        FYI, the stock cab is rated at 4 Ohms 240 Watts.
        It's wired for 16 ohms now. I think I'll change it back to 4. Do you think the speakers are stock?

Comment

The stamp that says 81-0008 on the back of the magnet in the pic above is a Sunn part number. So it's a good bet that those speakers are original. However, that number doesn't appear in the parts list I posted in this thread over at the Sunn forum. Link: https://forum.sunnstillshines.online...16586#msg16586

Note that the cabinet in the link vintagekiki posted above is a slightly later version with a non-removable back panel.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Well this cab is shaping up nicely. I replaced the casters, rubber feet, jack plates, jacks and back panel screws. Ready for another life!
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X