Conrad Sundholm RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conrad Sundholm RIP

For those who may not have heard, Conrad Sundholm, co-founder of Sunn passed away Monday after a year long illness. He was able to spend the last month or so of his life spending time with family so even though the illness and treatments were hard on him physically, he had support around in his last days. I know that he knew how much of an influence he was for all of us who love the classic Sunn products, and he loved that he had done that and was able to make something that people enjoyed. Godspeed Conrad!

Greg

Here's an interesting article from 2019 about how he got started. Definitely a pioneer. RIP Conrad!

https://tualatinlife.com/history/liv...nrad-sundholm/
    Last edited by The Dude; 07-14-2023, 01:15 AM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Here's an interesting article from 2019 about how he got started. Definitely a pioneer. RIP Conrad!
      The link is missing. Looking forward to reading the article.
      Tom

Comment

Link added. Thanks for pointing that out, Tom. I guess memory is one of the first things to go.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks Dude. That's a great article. I remember when Sunn Amps first arrived in my home town. I was able to get really familiar with the amp line because I was doing contract repair work for the local store that carried the Sunn line. The Sunn amp heads were big and roomy inside, true point to point construction and used Dynaco transformers. The big bass amp originally used the Dynaco A-451 output transformer which was rated for up to 240W and weighed 23 pounds! Along with a quad of real Gold Lion KT-88s and 15" JBL speakers it was a for sure an impressive bass amp.

Comment

I've got an early Sunn 2000S head and cabinet and it uses that massive Dynaco output transformer in it. I need to rebuild it but it still works well. Conrad and I did a LMS plot of my 2000S cabinet, and a friend's 200S cabinet, and a 1x15 cabinet that I built that was 2000S size on one side and 200S size when upright, with a port half the height of the bigger 2x15 cabinets. The 2000S cabinet had more bass response than the 200S cabinet, but the 200S cabinet was more balanced sounding. My little 1x15 cabinet was actually pretty close to the 200S cabinet which surprised us both. I was hoping to be able to share all those plots with everyone online but Conrad's LMS setup was really old and we hadn't figured out an easy way to transfer the files off the machine to something more modern. I'll have to check with his son and see if it is possible once the funeral and everything else is past. Going to miss hanging out and talking shop with Conrad!

Greg

Comment

For those in the Portland, OR area, a celebration of life will be held. Here are the details.

Greg

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...LlUM0C2q-1KJjg

Comment

Working...
              X