Reverb Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb Power

Has anyone ever measured the power output of a Fender Reverb Driver ? I'm thinking a Blackface Fender with a parallel 12AT7 would make about 1 Watt. The 6G15 with a 6K6GT maybe 2 Watts ? Is that much power necessary for a real Surfy Reverb ?
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Haven't measured, and my guesstimates match yours. In each case I think there's well more than enough power to achieve an acceptable degree of surfiness and go far beyond into cowabunga territory. Less is plenty enough. Geeze, I'm soaked! I mean stoked! Hang ten dude. Or eleven if you got 'em.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

When I designed my low voltage standalone mainly tube reverb I used a MOSFET constant current driver capacitively coupled to the tank input. A tank needs to be spanked pretty hard to get a good surf sound and the tank is more efficiently driven throughout its frequency range when using constant current (and gives a better response). I like an adjustable dwell to be able to drive the tank into distortion if desired - the input transducers are pretty robust and hold up exceptionally well. I've always thought of a regular 12AT7 driver as being about 1W.

Comment

Perhaps less would do it, but how much less? I find the op amp driven circuits lacking, and note that there have been solid state versions with mini power amps instead (Yamaha), or paralleled op amps for drive (Yorkville).
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Obviously Leo thought/found the power capability of a single small signal triode not to be sufficient.
          As reverb transducer impedance increases proportional to frequency, drive power strongly depends on frequency (and input vol. setting).
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
            Has anyone ever measured the power output of a Fender Reverb Driver ? I'm thinking a Blackface Fender with a parallel 12AT7 would make about 1 Watt.
            Yes. I did that once and saved the following note.
            I used a 1966 fender Pro Reverb amp to test the actual drive signal to the reverb tank.

When driving the amp to produce 40W into a 4 Ohm speaker test load, the signal out of the reverb drive into an 8 Ohm test load was 800 mV RMS. This is only an 80 mW drive signal.

The result really surprised me. I'll look for any measurements that I made on a 6G15.

Comment

On the couple of reverb amps I've built I didn't concern myself with really high drive capability. Perhaps a bit less than a typical BF circuit and they sound just great for a normal reverb effect. Most BF amps will actually get that surf sound (or damned close) adjusted for max clean volume so it seems that more is better for THAT tone. I did build a "reverb only" amp for a customer that filches power off the host amp and targets tank drives at about 1W with more of less being possible (dwell adjustment). The customer adjusts it for about 1W as per my instruction and says it's the best reverb he's ever had. So, opinions are subjective but for my experience you can get good reverb sound at lower drive levels but best results mean more drive is better up to about 1 watt and perhaps a bit more if you want it really surfy.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I found some old notes I saved, circa 25-30 years ago, when I measured the spring drive power of a vintage Fender 6G15.

Applying a 50mV, 2KHz signal to the input with the dwell control maxed out, I measured 1.09V across an 8 Ohm resistive load in place of the reverb tank. The calculated drive power is therefore, 0.15W which is about twice the power I measured using the Fender Pro Amp. This is still much lower than the power levels talked about in on line discussions so my curiosity is peaked.

I also realize that the overall sound is dependent upon the actual impedance curve of the reverb tank's drive transducer. I'll plan on making more detailed measurements the next time I have a 6G15 in the shop.

Cheers,
                Tom

Comment

At 2kHz the reverb transducer impedance will about double.
                  At 1kHz the transducer impedance is about 10 times the DCR, so almost completely inductive (even more so at higher frequencies).
                  At lower frequency impedance is lower, drawing more power from same voltage.

A traditional single coil PU can put out around 100mVrms. Of course there are much hotter PUs.
                  Doubling input signal means 4 times reverb drive power.

So I think drive power capability or headroom should be larger than your measured numbers.
                  Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-28-2024, 09:04 PM.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It was a long time ago and, now, I have no idea why I used those test values. I've put it on my list to make a better set of measurements some day.

Comment

I recall the Mk series Mesa Boogie amps have a good rep for their reverb, however the different models use different arrangements, from a Fender similar dual 12AT7 to a single 12AX7 section (MkIII).
                      I assume it's a regular Fender spec reverb transformer.
                      The transformer primary typically gets its HT feed via a non decoupled 10k or 22k resistor.

https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat...oogie_mkii.pdf
                      https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat...ogie_mkiii.pdf
                      ​​​​​​​https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat...oogie_mkiv.pdf
                      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                      X