transformer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transformer question

Hey guys, I scrounged a power tranny from a piece of old test equipment. It has a label on it but half of it is missing. Looks like its made by Chicago Standard Trans. Corp. What I can read of the label says the 5v and 6.3v windings are rated at 2amps each. I can't read the ht voltage but the current looks like 55ma (the label is torn right at that point but it looks like there might an @ symbol in front of it) The red wires measure 730vac, 365 to the center tap. Is this too puny for a champ style amp? I already have a champ OT and my 16 year old son has expressed interest in building an amp for a school project.
    Thanks,
    David

To hazard a guess I'd say it'll be fine. After all the heater is fine for at least one 6V6 (450mA) and one pre-amp tube (300mA) (and extra pre-amp tubes), and the recto winding is appropriate for a 5Y3GT (1.9A). A SE 6V6 amp with one pre-amp tube draws no more than 50mA on the B+. (If the 6V6 is biased at 36mA in Class A, it'll be less than 40mA for the whole sheebang right?, so you could build a twin-style reverb into it for extra sweetness and still be under 55mA)
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I might get out cheap on this. Just gotta buy another one of those Hammond chassis and a pilot light. Maybe a 10" speaker.
      David

Comment

Working...
      X