Rockola amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockola amp

Ok, this isn't a guitar amp, but it is a tube amp and it has a feature I've never seen before. It seems like it's connecting 10v to the 6v3 heaters until the power tubes warm up and start conducting, then it switches over to 6v3. Maybe to "heat 'em up" faster?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PastedGraphic-1.png
Views:	16
Size:	823.8 KB
ID:	1005757
    Attached Files

I guess so you don't miss the intro and complain... I am assuming it is a juke box, right?

Reminds me of some old cars in the UK used to have 6v ignition coils and a resistor inline from the 12v battery. The resistor was bypassed while turning over the engine so that it got a boost voltage. It was marketed as cold start device or something.

Comment

Normally it takes 10 to 20 seconds for the tubes to develop full emission.
      Seems that the application here required faster ramp-up.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I think from the time you drop your coin in and select the song, it is usually about 10 seconds for the record to load, maybe less?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sorry, no personal experience with jukeboxes here.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            I think from the time you drop your coin in and select the song, it is usually about 10 seconds for the record to load, maybe less?
            I thought of that, but I kind of doubt the amp cycled on and off every time someone dropped a coin in the slot. My recollection is they plugged it in at opening time and pulled the plug when closing.

Comment

If Enzo were still with us, I'm sure he could tell us all about it!
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by mikeydee77 View Post
                I am assuming it is a juke box, right?
                I though the watermark 'jukeboxmanuals.com' would make it obvious. I have no experience with jukeboxes either...

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
                  I kind of doubt the amp cycled on and off every time someone dropped a coin in the slot. My recollection is they plugged it in at opening time and pulled the plug when closing.
                  I would agree, but was quite surprised to find out that gas-powered golf carts started the engine every time you stepped on the pedal.

Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    was quite surprised to find out that gas-powered golf carts started the engine every time you stepped on the pedal.
                    Unfortunately, my full-size car wants to do the same thing! :\

Comment

Working...
                    X