Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FW Diode rectifier - cap rating qn

Hi there fellow valve-amp junkies

A belated merry eczemas from down under and the top of the festive season to you all

I'm designing a FW diode rectifier that is running off a secondary of 240-0-240VAC.

The PIV is (2 x root 2) x 240 (as I understand it) - which gives a PIV of 672V

I realise I probably don't need to , but (say if I wanted to) if I am using two 1N4007 in series on each side of the rectifier (for a bit of a buffer), can I get away with 630V caps in parallel with each diode? (see schematic)

Cheers
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

You don't see caps used like that much any more. The original idea was that if any fast spikey noise made it through the transformer, or if rectifier snap-off created an inductive spike, it would be equally divided across the rectifiers. The 1N4001-7 series didn't really need it. Generally ceramic caps were used because they were relatively small and could stand the big current spikes and 1KV ratings are common.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks loudthud. But could I get away with 630V film caps?

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

never mind - I found some 3kV ceramic ones

Comment

Working...
        X