Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU design; what does it do????

Hello all!

Right now I am repairing an old MACCS M100 amp which is in fact an upgraded Klemt BS40. Mainly the ELCO's are old and rusty and the tubes need replacing.........

Then I watched the PSU design (power trafo was clearly replaced) and I couldn't get what was happening in this design........

Little schematic of what happens in the first stage of the PSU

What happens here and why is this added.

Edit: When I sim the circuit it acts as a voltage halver; when I measure the plate voltage on the powertubes (EL34) I get around 800V........ this is a voltage halver???? Can EL34 run safely on these voltages? Do I need to take extra precautions?

Hi Bernard,

this is a full wave bridge with a center tap, very common in the 70s for class B tube amps. Output 1 goes to the plates, output 2 to the screens.
    R1/R2 seem to be placed a little odd though - are you sure they are wired that way?
    And yes, EL34s were designed for 800V max in class B operation. The screens get 400V, bias them no hotter than 19-20mA per tube.
    Also keep in mind that most European equipment back then was designed for 220V operation, not 230, which makes all the secondary voltages 5% higher than intended.

Cheers,
    Albert

Comment

Thanks man! I am currently also repairing my old Bass King from the files on your website!

The resistors are placed in that way and I measured them to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernardduur View Post
        Thanks man! I am currently also repairing my old Bass King from the files on your website!
        Let me know how it turns out.

Originally posted by Bernardduur View Post
        The resistors are placed in that way and I measured them to be sure.
        Well, ok then - they will do no harm.

Cheers,
        Albert

Comment

Working...
        X