dual monobloc technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual monobloc technology

it seems that Marshall is/was the only tube amp manufacturer (recently anyways) that builds dual monobloc amps.

do they have a patent on this?

if not, why haven't Mesa, bogner, diezel, fender, etc. released similar designs? it's great for failover in live situations...
    Rivera S120, Marshall JMP-1, EL34 dual monobloc

You can't patent the idea of "one amp in one box". All ordinary amp heads could be described as monoblocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlinb View Post
      You can't patent the idea of "one amp in one box". All ordinary amp heads could be described as monoblocks.
      I'm talking about patenting "dual monobloc", not "monobloc". big difference.

Comment

Which is pretty much what any "stereo" amp is. Hard to patent that as well.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

so what other dual monobloc "copies" are available in current production?

Comment

I have no idea, it seems that the advantage you descrfibe is that of having a spare amp. Most guys who concern themselves over backup simply carry a second amp. I wod think that rather than some patent was the reason others don't have such models.

Does the Peavey Classic 50/50 meet the description? Two separate power amps in one chassis.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I wonder if it might have separate power supplies for each side; that's the only thing I can think of that would differentiate it from a regular stereo amp.
              -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

I suppose. The PV 50/50 has separate standby switches, but a common B+ supply. Totally separate power supplies would mean two power transformers, and in an amplifier powerful enough for a touring player, that is prohibitively heavy. We are into SVT territory then. That is good enough reason for most OEMs not to make one.

I recall the QSC EX and MX series of power amps. They were pretty similar except one series had dual power transformers, the other a common one. I hated to see the dual ones come in for service because they were so much heavier.

Comment

Working...
                X