PSU cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU cap question

Lets say you have a amp with a high gain cascaded preamp with 3 12AX7's, one being the PI. An you have a PSU node for each tube. If you removed one and had a single node for the 2 preamp tubes and after removing it you got no noticable extra noise or oscillations, would it then be better to permanently remove that node? What i'm asking is that if it doesn't seem to need that extra node, is there any reason that removing it could lead to better tone, dynamics, anything to the good?

I'm asking because i only used one per tube because i was told i should. yet my last build only used 1 for V1 and V2 and one for the PI, yet even tho the preamp is the same design it doesn't have any noise or oscillation issues at all. So i tried removing one node on the other amp and adjusting the node resistors accordingly and it seemed to be fine. I can't say for sure how it sounded because i need time to listen and i didn't want to zip it back up like that. Just figured i'd ask and see what you gurus here have to say about it first.

When you say one node per tube, do you mean one node per triode or per glass blottle?
    It is never a good idea to run more than one bottle from one node, unless it's a really big cap. Even if it is stable now, it would be liable to develop problems in future as components drift, caps get warm, dry out, etc. Sure you can "get away with it", but it's a pretty cavalear attitude. There's no tonal benifit to it, certainly.

Comment

Thanks. I'll just leave it alone then. I meant one node for 2 12AX7's.

Comment

Working...
      X