X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Special output transformer ?

Have a Peavey Special Solo Series with a medium sized audio transformer
    wired to the 4 ohm switching socket.
    It also has an 8 ohm outlet..... I haven't seen this before .
    The amplifier seems to be identical to the PV Special 130 In Enzo's ampix
    collection however it doesn't show the transformer.
    The number on the transformer is 705-17630 and no its not a retro fit.
    It even has a small metal shield fitted to shield the input from the molex connector to the transformer.
    The only thing wrong with it was an open circuit speaker (4ohms120w)
    and as it was a Scorpion, Peavey supplied a replacement basket so it was only a matter of unbolting the magnet assembly and fitting it to the new basket.I thought this is an excellent idea particularly in this age of throw away madness.
    The foam in the center of the magnet had rotted but fortunately one of the foam spacers from an old groove tubes retail plastic tube fitted perfectly and was easy to breath through.

I presume its some kind of matching transformer so 130w can be supplied into an 8 ohm load as it is normally connected with nothing plugged into the 4 ohm socket.
    Anyone come across this before ?
    Thanks

That part number is the Peavey part number - you can contact the factory and see if they still have them if you want one. It is an autotransformer.

PV used them on a few models. I think you are right, it stepped up the output on 8 ohms.

Here is the schematic for the original Special. It shows the transformer.
    Attached Files
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey there, I had one of these, along with a couple other Spec 130s without Xformer. The way its included in the circuit you lose maybe 10 watts output but there are wiring combinations with the Spkr, switching jacks that will allow it to run at a full 28v or better into the 4 ohm Scorpion but will protect the amp if a second speaker is connected without a power loss. It can also be removed entirely if you wish but there really is no point unless you're concerned about weight. Terrific little amp!

Comment

Working...
      X