warmer triod bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warmer triod bias?

in fine tuning my amp, i find that biasing the second triod warmer with cathode resistance of say 800-1k seems to open up the sound in my amp. with a 1.5k resistor, things seem comparably tight and abrupt. are my ears deceiving me? i realize that there's a little more gain in lowering the resistor but r8 & r9 are in the circuit to attenuate the already too-much gain, not to mention my experiments w/ bypass caps.....so i know what higher gain sounds like and it's not the same as lowering rk. i could be wrong though as i've been working this poor circuit board to death and my brain is cluttered with all the changes. it's a good learning experience though.
    Attached Files

"with a 1.5k resistor, things seem comparably tight and abrupt"

These are typical Fender pairs (1.5K and 100K), and tight and abrupt might be a good description of fender amps.

Other pairs include 820 and 47K.

Different resistor pairs cause different characteristic curves which sound different.
    -Bryan

Comment

And to nit pick, R8,9 do not reduce gain, they reduce signal level into the following stage. That signal level is the result of gain in previous stages. There is a difference between gain (amount of amplification in a stage) and signal level. SO adjusting the gain of a stage and adjusting the amount of signal fed to it are dofferent animals.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X