Metallized Polyester Film Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallized Polyester Film Capacitors

i thought i was ordering yellow mallory 150's, instead i got white Metallized Polyester Film Capacitors. whats the difference? will they be ok to for coupling caps in an amp?

Originally posted by scole View Post
    i thought i was ordering yellow mallory 150's, instead i got white Metallized Polyester Film Capacitors. whats the difference? will they be ok to for coupling caps in an amp?
    Hey, I got white ones too in my last order (from AES)!
    Aren't they still M150s?

Comment

Film caps should work fine (as long as they are the same values and 400V-600V rating)
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

i ordered them from mouser. they have the exact same part no. as the yellow 150,s but the white ones are metallized, i dont know what that means.

Comment

Just came back home and took a closer look.
          I ordered mine through AES, all as "Mallory 150'S" on their website, the .1uf are yellow, but the .022 and .0022 are white.

They both say 150 M (with a line over the M). They are physically identical to the yellow ones, just smaller (I assumed because they are smaller values).

I just assumed that for some reason Mallory decided to switch to white casing...

Comment

Mallory 150s are AFAIK metallized polyester film caps. I've seen white Mallory 150s before. If you look at some series of caps which have been around for a while (say ERO MKT1813 or what have you) the look can change over time (older 1813 could be a sort of metallic green while todays are yellow) so maybe Mallory decided to change the colour for whatever reason.

Comment

Just a total guess here, but sometimes things like color are not meant to indicate anything we need to know, SOmetimes it is something like which plant or which assembly line the parts came off, or which production batch. Or maybe some are RoHS and some are not. who knows?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This was brought up on the 18 Watt forum recently. Someone contacted the manufacturer and was told the change to white was due to a change in the coating to something that is flame retardant. The "old" yellow caps and the new white caps are both metallized polyester. Does anyone have a picture of the new white 150's? I'm curious about the new look. Thanks.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by scole View Post
                  i ordered them from mouser. they have the exact same part no. as the yellow 150,s but the white ones are metallized, i dont know what that means.
                  See last para under point 2 on this page

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...tor/cap_2.html
                  Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Just a total guess here, but sometimes things like color are not meant to indicate anything we need to know, SOmetimes it is something like which plant or which assembly line the parts came off, or which production batch. Or maybe some are RoHS and some are not. who knows?
                    color greatly affects tone! Blackcats are DARK, Yellow mallory 150s are mellow, Orange Drops are citrusy...

(kidding, TGIF)

Comment

I'm selling bottles of tone-paint for $12. When properly applied to the capacitor, the paint frees up the electrons so the amp sounds more open....

I also have some Vintage tone-paint, specially formulated to duplicate the sound of Tweed Astron capacitors from the 1950s.

Comment

I believe they've always been metalized poly. FWIW, here's a link to the spec sheet.

http://www.cde.com/catalogs/150.pdf

Yellow Hi-Liter?
                        Last edited by Five_E35; 04-04-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
                          I'm selling bottles of tone-paint for $12. When properly applied to the capacitor, the paint frees up the electrons so the amp sounds more open....

I also have some Vintage tone-paint, specially formulated to duplicate the sound of Tweed Astron capacitors from the 1950s.
                          Kaaaaching! I'll buy stock!

How about colored cardboard tubes to put over those sonically inferior new caps as well?

Comment

You'll want to order a bunch of my tone shields then. Those are metalized little cylinders with a ground lead. You slip one around each cap before soldering, then connect the ground lead to chassis. This shields each cap against... well we don;t know just what yet, but we'll come up with something it is good for.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                            X