Blackface preamp, Brown tremolo/vibrato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackface preamp, Brown tremolo/vibrato

I have aquired a pair of transformers from an Altec lansing 342B PA amp. The PT is about 355-0-355 with 5vac, 6.3vac ct and a 20vac ct tap that was used to make 12vdc for the preamp tubes. It also has a 60vac bias tap. The OT has 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps and a 70 volt tap. Tubes were 4 12ax7's, a pair of 7027's and a GZ34.

I want to use these for a new build. I have built a couple of plain push pull 6v6 amps. I want to try a 6L6 single channel with trem and reverb this time. The transformers are stand up mount so this will be in a head cabinet. I want to try a Princeton preamp grafted to a brown Vibroverb PI, output and trem section. I'll have 5 preamp tubes, a pair of 6L6's and a rectifier.

Questions:

1 I see that Tubedepot has a blank 17x6.5x2.5 aluminum chassis. Can I likely fit it into this or should I go bigger?

2 Can I hang the reverb tank from the top of the cabinet above the transformers? If so how much space do I need to leave between them?

3 Can I run all 5 preamp tubes off the 6.3vac tap or should I run the preamp tubes off 12vdc from the 20vac tap as the Altec did?

And finally, if someone is willing to look at my diagram for mistakes or omissions, I would really apreciate it. I know I'll have to tweak some values here and there.

Thanks,
    David
    Attached Files

Originally posted by dwhutchens View Post
    look at my diagram for mistakes or omissions
    You'll need to add a resistor between the reverb control's wiper and the grid of the mixer stage. Otherwise the dry signal will be attenuated by the reverb control. Fender used 470k.
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Thanks tboy. I see that resistor in both the Princeton and the Vibroverb drawings now. I fixed that on the drawing. It's those little mistakes that will have me scratching my head later.

The transformers are Peerless. The number on diagram for the PT is 6192a. I tried googling that but did'nt come up with any thing. Does anybody know where I might find the specs on that, like the filament current ratings?

Thanks again,
      David
      Attached Files

Comment

I swear you must be looking at my notebook - I am building almost the exact circuit out of a Princeton. I liken the output circuit more to the Vibrolux than the Vibroverb though since it was a longer running model with bias modulated 6L6's. No matter. I'm using a Hammmond vertical mounted PT on a Princeton chassis, which is only 18-1/4" x 7" deep. It's a little tight, but do-able. With the transformer vertical mounted, I have more room directly underneath it to mount the filter caps on a turret board.
        Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
        Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Th input to the reverb driver could use a 1M to ground. Together with the 500pF coupling cap, you'll have the Fender 318Hz rolloff to avoid crashing your tank with a lot of low frequency energy.

Comment

...and another thing... The input to the reverb recovery should have a 20K to ground. It's a standard Fender value to load the tank a little and keep it from sounding too wild.
            C21 seems 'extra'. If you like a slow, stable LFO, check the Vibrolux Custom Shop version here (simple rewire): http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/tremoloCircuits.html

Comment

Originally posted by GibsonLover View Post
              ...and another thing... The input to the reverb recovery should have a 20K to ground. It's a standard Fender value to load the tank a little and keep it from sounding too wild.
              I think you meant 220k
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Hey GibsonLover, thanks for pointing out those resistors. I was finishing up that drawing at about 2am and everything was running together. I think tubeswell is right about that resistor being 220k. I originally had it in there, it's bypassed with a cap on the Princeton circuit, I can't make out the value of the cap though. I looked at my drawing and thought I had mistakenly duplicated the resistor and cap on the recovery tubes cathode because I had drawn it right beside it. It's drawn sideways above the reverb tank on the Fender drawings. I just missed the 1meg on the reverb driver alltogether, I see it on both Fender drawings now.

I just got the transformer covers painted. They were pretty rusty so I took them off and sandblasted them and painted them satin black. I've got the OT back together and I just found my misplaced screws for the PT tonight. I'm still up in the air about the chassis size. The Altec was in a 17.5" by 7.5" so I think its doable but I found that turretboards.com has some bigger sized chassis. I also have to decide whether to use two rows of terminal strips or make a custom eyelet board to mount the parts on.

Thanks again guys,
                David

Comment

Fresh paint! I got the old rusty transformers back together, now I just need a chassis, some tube sockets and some pots
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X