New to Forum - Blackheart BH5H - > Vox AC4 Conversion? Ideas/Schem inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Forum - Blackheart BH5H - > Vox AC4 Conversion? Ideas/Schem inside

Hello all! First post, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but Theory seemed to be the best place for a schematic discussion.

Okay so I have this Blackheart BH5H I'm not using, because it is too clean and the cleans aren't anything special. Certainly not on par with my 78 Tweedified Fender Champ. I thought about doing a few mods to increase the gain, but then I thought, why not do something completely original with the amp? So here's what I came up with, and I was hoping for some input.

Concept: Convert a Blackheart BH5H to a real Vox AC4 + an extra gain stage

Execution: Replace PCB with Eyelet board, PCB Sockets with Normal Sockets

Features:
    • 2 EF86 Gain Stages
    • 1xEL84 Power Tube
    • 3/5 Watt switch retained from Blackheart
    • Diode Rectifier with Standby Switch
    • 2 Gain Controls, Tone Control

Original AC4 Schematic:

My Modified Schematic:

I apologize for the lack of tube symbols, the program I'm using doesn't have tube libraries. Here are the relevant tube pinouts for reference:

To Do:
    • Implement Pentode-Triode Switch into Schematic
    • Investigate output of Blackheart PT
    • Design Eyelet Board Layout

Concerns:
    • Could someone verify my schematic for sanity/viability?
    • Will the PT have enough juice to power the heaters on 3 tubes?
    • The PT should be enough to power 3 tubes, since the EF86’s (other than the heaters) have the same number of plates and cathodes as a single 12ax7.
    • What changes need to be made to the filter caps/power resistors to ensure proper voltage to the two EF86’s?

What does everyone think?

To answer the questions I anticipate you'll have:

Why not buy the new AC4TV? Well, first of all, the reissue uses a 12ax7 which isn't true to the original. Second, I already HAVE the black heart, and nobody local seems to want to buy it. Third, I think I can do this mod for ~$80-120 including new tubes.

Why not do the Bitmo mods? I'd only use it on the vox section, which doesn't really nail the vox sound anyway, and doesn't do enough to increase gain IMO. Basically the amp will be a chassis, cab, and Transformer donor.
    Last edited by Ryan Trevisol; 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM.

I got a little guidance at SEWatt, I was advised to add a coupling cap between the second preamp stage and the power amp, as well as a leak resistor to the EL84. Thanks to EL34world, I was able to get some nice tube libraries for ExpressPCB.
    So I updated my schematic.

Revisions:
    •- Added Coupling Cap (.022uf is what the Blackheart uses)
    •- Added Grid Leak Resistor
    •- Changed to Diode Rectifier
    •- Cleaned up routing/labeling
    •- Reduced the dropping resistor to 10k
    •- Added a more accurate PT diag.

In my uneducated opinion, this should work but I'm still unsure if I'm going to get enough plate voltage to those EF86's though. Also, there is a second heater circuit. It's meant for adding a Tube Rectifier. I wonder if I should connect it to the EL84 and let the other circuit just handle the two preamp tubes.

Here's a n00bish question . . . . when connecting the heaters, do I connect one end of the filament to ground, and just daisy chain the hot from the PT to the other filament pins?

Comment

You might check your B+ and heater voltage / current concerns just by trying to use dummy loads (in the absence of tranny specs). If the load is too great, the voltage will decrease. If all appears well, let it stew for a little while and make sure it does not get too hot to touch.
      Your heater wiring - twisted pairs have a noise canceling property that you should take advantage of. A single wire works, but this is 2009....
      Good luck!
      Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
      Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Working...
      X