Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the f**king f**ker. Anyone seen inside it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the f**king f**ker. Anyone seen inside it?

I've seen a couple of clips of this bizarre, bleeding edge of tube tech amp head online a couple of time, and wonder if anyone has seen it up close, or (heaven forbid) actually saw inside it? There's apparently handfuls of tubes all over in it, like numbering more in the dozens...

The designer is one of those mad genius types who spent the last decade or so building crazy analog synths.

And again, can you provide a link to whatever this is?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hmmm... black tolex, with rubber corners and a few twiddly knobs - looks like a zillion other amps from the outside. For $5G with a truly fucked up name, you think they maybe could've come up with a raunchier outer skin.

http://www.metasonix.com/index.php?o...ask=view&id=36.

Not enough there to convince me to give up my home brews
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

that's come up before in a previous thread and it turns out (as I understand) that was a joke

Comment

Comment

Nope, it's for real. Those "rubber corners" are actually made from Bob Moog's dangleberries.

The designer is Eric Barbour, you can see more of his messed-up work at metasonix.com, such as the "Anal Probe" and "Scrotum Smasher" distortion pedals.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I don't mean to say it doesn't exist. Here, look for yourself:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.g...33f555d6fccc1e

Comment

Hey you can get it as a plug in for your daw

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtop...303ada33625b98

BTW think there should be an AO warning on the Name/logo panel.
                Last edited by oc disorder; 04-29-2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

well what do you know...I didn't think a guy who would build a 23 tube machine would make a VST version of it as well...

thanks for picking up where I left of on the links, guys. and also, thanks for the gut shot. that's a very interesting view of this freak.

Comment

Lmao it looks like a computer from the late 60's... "...and now, we will add in binary...."

Seriously though, wow, that is a lot of parts for a tube amp. If it is using only NOS tubes it must cost a fortune to re tube, but I guess if the sticker price really is $5K? you aren't too concerned about it.

I wish I was an eccentric tube genius, I could use the $

Comment

Originally posted by Grun View Post
                      Come on, how many of these things do you think Eric Barbour sells in a year? 5 grand amps covered in obscenities don't strike me as a terribly good business model.
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Grun View Post
                        Lmao it looks like a computer from the late 60's... "...and now, we will add in binary...."

Seriously though, wow, that is a lot of parts for a tube amp. If it is using only NOS tubes it must cost a fortune to re tube, but I guess if the sticker price really is $5K? you aren't too concerned about it.

keep in mind alot of those nos tubes arent the tube types that are desired. audio tubes are in demand, but tubes designed for tv's and other applications are not in demand. how many tv enthusiasts do you see spending big on tube tv's? alot of the tubes used in tv's work fine for audio as well (some may not have a flat frequency response, but that's fine for MI use). they may be nos, but they are cheaper than new stock most of the time as there is no demand for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                          Come on, how many of these things do you think Eric Barbour sells in a year? 5 grand amps covered in obscenities don't strike me as a terribly good business model.
                          t
                          I think you are underestimating the trust fund rocker factor! Did you notice that he also snubbed Bill O'Riley fans on the PCB silk screeening? (FYI, He's a conservative talk/tv host who may not be internationally known.)

Comment

It looks like Eric Barbour has a good sense of humor. Just guessing, but I'd bet he's a fun guy to go drinkin' with. His irreverant R'n'R humor has it's place, so I'm not too offended. Add a few drug references and he'll have the sex, drugs, and R'n'R trifecta complete. Whenever I see a Metasonix ad, I think of Frank Zappa - dunno why. Similar sense of humor maybe. The new amp also has dual output sections, which I've done recently myself. You can't knock a guy for doing something different, whatever the price.
                            Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
                            Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

oh yea, I could see Frank Zappa having a couple of these on an AB switch. Metasonix looks like a shrine to his spirit.

Comment

Working...
                              X