capacitor tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capacitor tester

is there a simple device i could build to check the value of a capacitor, similar to the way you check a resistor with a dmm?

I have seen circuits for that in the past as projects, but don;t recall where. But you can buy a modern inexpensive DMM that includes such function for not a lot of money.

With caps, especially older ones going leaky, it is not usually the value that suffers. A cap meter won;t tell you about leaky unless the cap is so leaky it upsets the meter reading.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Got a LCR meter from Hong Kong off Ebay for ~$25 (shipping included.)

I wasn't crazy about buying cheap test gear from China, but it works pretty darn well (hey, I'm on a budget, too.) Really paid for itself when I sorted out all the various inductors tucked away here and there...

Also, it's kinda cool to see how close caps are to the labeled value (sometimes, not so close.)

Comment

Whats odd is that i have a Fluke and a cheapo called a Extech i got from Fry's. The Extech reads caps just great, while the Fluke almost never reads anything. then again i use them mostly for very small caps like in the pf range. But still, you'd think the Fluke would work better let alnoe not as good or not at all ! If i recall the Extech was only something like $20-30. The fluke was $120 or thereabouts. So much for getting your money's worth i guess.

Comment

I also post on an antique radio restoration forum. I found a circuit on there for a simple capacitor leakage tester that applies between 200-300 volts to test a cap for leakage. I built it and it works like a charm. When an old tube amp cap goes bad, value doesn't change, it either shorts or gets leaky. This tester makes finding leaky and shorted caps a snap. Here is the link complete with schematics. All of the circuits are similar and will work. Antique Radio Forums :: View topic - Easy to build capacitor checker A must for checking parts .

Comment

Working...
          X