Sorry about the n00b question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry about the n00b question!!

When purchasing parts for a buid project, where can I get Hammond transformers from in the UK? Farnell and Maplin both have ignored several emails.
    Also I was about to purchase filter caps when I noticed some other, "low impedance" caps that were the same value, voltage rating and temp rating. They were more expensive. Then there were "super low impedance" which were more expensive, and then "ultra low impedance" which were more expensive.
    It's supposed to be a guitar amplifier. It's not lab equipment, it's not even hi-fi so... are the more expensive caps worth it?

hammond has a suppliers page on their website, check that.

for future use, try to make the topic name relevant to whats inside othewise you wont get many people looking in and helping.

Comment

The UK distributor for Hammond's valve amp transformers is Bluebell Audio in Dundee, I believe. Bluebell home index.

I don't blame Farnell or Maplin for ignoring your emails. Neither of them distribute Hammond audio transformers, and they're hardly going to start just for you. And no, low ESR caps aren't worth it for valve equipment.

Maplin sell some valve output transformers from Oxford Electronic Products, though.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Although low ESR caps aren't needed in most tube amps, the 'Long Life' and 'High Temperature' types can show long term benefits.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

List of suppliers etc

FYI Merlin b's site has a page with a list of suppliers of equipment for your neck of the woods - (I have no idea know how up-to-date it would be, but I guess a lot of it is still current?)

The Valve Wizard
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
          X