Reverb driving methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks pdf64 and Merlin.

Ver 12 f attached. I'm pondering whether the dwell control could be 250k or 1M? (I suppose 1M is better). If need be, I can put a grid stopper on the 2nd 1/2 grid pin later.

In driving the first 1/2 of the 12AT7 from the buffer stage (as I have shown now), is a grid stopper really necessary? (I have shown one in any event). I guess the voltage swing off the CF cathode is large enough to put surplus charge the 0.1uF coupling cap, and if there is a 1M grid leak at the 12AT7 first 1/2, then you might get problems, but does the low impedance output of the CF stage mitigate that somewhat (or is it irrelevant?). Besides that, there is a 100k cathode resistor right there which may help bleed excess charge to ground (methinks?) - in addition to allowing a signal to be taken off the cathode.

I'll leave the 2nd 1/2 of the 12AT7 bypass to later experiment.

I've also shown 100k on the recovery stage grid (but obviously 47k will provide sufficient impedance bridging as well for minimal noise). I note that the 6G15 has a whopping 250uF bypass cap, but I wonder why? I thought it might be fun to see if increasing it to that ballpark makes any difference.

I'll leave the recovery stage tone stack issues until I get the reverb intensity sorted. (at the moment there's good treble response but not good bass response - and I'm hoping this will balance out more if I can get more drive into the pan)

Lastly, I guess its still okay, with this revised topology, to power the 1st 1/2 of the 12AT7 from the same supply node as the V1 plates?

I appreciate your support. Cheers :-)
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Hammond used to drive "dangly spring" reverb with a 12BH7 & PP transfomer.
      (you could use a $10 Jaycar 100V line xformer)
      12BH7 is pin compatible with ECC..... and can do 3.5 watts per plate!

Comment

How about skipping the reverb driver transformer the way Trace Elliot did it (pg. 2):

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/t...bonneville.pdf

Comment

A happy conclusion to this tale.

I went and had a yak with Simcha Delft yesterday, and while I had been planning to cascade the 12AT7 in any event, I actually got some sagely tips about the biasing, gain structure and impedances.

So the new (and improved) driver setup is a cascaded 12AT7 with 47k on the first anode (which is powered from the same decoupling node as V1), and a 1k5 cathode resistor bypassed with 22uF, and a 22nF coupling cap and 1M grid load resistor going to the second stage, which has 435V on the anode driving the RT primary, and a 4k7 cathode resistor bypassed by 22uF. The dwell control (and I'm glad I built one into the amp because it really is necessary here) is in front of the first gain stage. In the end I left the recovery stage in the BF format, and the 'standalone' bypass/buffer CF stage is still there with everything mixed thru 250KN. I took out the coupling cap going to the DC pair.

With this setup there is bucket-loads of reverb (everything from Dick Dale downwards ), so I am over the moon about it. Thanks once again to everybody here for your helpful suggestions and participation.

The only thing still to sort out is the trem - but I'll finish that episode on another thread.
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
          X