Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split-load vs. long tail pair: Tonal/Vibe differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split-load vs. long tail pair: Tonal/Vibe differences?

Hey there,

I'm contemplating my next build and am curious as to what the tonal/vibey differences are between a split-load and a long tail PI. I'm toying with the following ideas:

1) EF86 preamp (essentially an AC15 preamp) into a long-tail PI into a cathode biased 5881 pair.

2) JTM-45 preamp into a split-load PI into a cathode biased pair of 5881s.

or?

3) EF86 preamp into a full tone stack then into one 12AX7 triode (gain recovery?) then into a split load PI and off to a cathode biased 5881 pair.

I was contemplating building just a 6G6-B, but then changed my mind and wanted to go JTM-45, but now I'm toying with all sorts of ideas yet I'm hung up on the PI and how it would affect change in the amp as a whole. Until this point I've stuck with LTPIs, but I have a thing for Princetons and I know some of that magic is in the PI (same with 5E3, etc...).

Thoughts?

I hate to say it man, but you'll have to build all three of them. And then you'll have to tweak them and change them. Nobody here can help you with your problem unfortunately. Start with #1 on your list.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
      I hate to say it man, but you'll have to build all three of them. And then you'll have to tweak them and change them. Nobody here can help you with your problem unfortunately. Start with #1 on your list.
      HA! Thanks man. I was afraid someone would say that.

I suppose I'm mostly hoping to find someone that's heard a split-load and long-tail PI in the same amp, so that I could know what the differences are between the two in context. I know what the differences are on paper, but not in reality. Once I get a good mental handle on the differences between the two then I'll know which direction to head.

Comment

Originally posted by dehughes View Post
        I suppose I'm mostly hoping to find someone that's heard a split-load and long-tail PI in the same amp, so that I could know what the differences are between the two in context....
        Well, I kind of did. I have a '65 non reverb Princeton. The AA964 circuit. Even on '10' it was still a bit clean, so I changed the PI to a LTPI. (Took out the trem which I never used anyway). More gain of course, but I dont really think at lower volumes it sounded a whole lot different. Of course I'm going on memory and it must have been over 30 years ago that I changed it.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
          Well, I kind of did. I have a '65 non reverb Princeton. The AA964 circuit. Even on '10' it was still a bit clean, so I changed the PI to a LTPI. (Took out the trem which I never used anyway). More gain of course, but I dont really think at lower volumes it sounded a whole lot different. Of course I'm going on memory and it must have been over 30 years ago that I changed it.
          Oh! Very cool! So, it was more of a gain thing, then, in your recollection?

I suppose that's good to know...as I'm not looking for clean, really, but rather the opposite: Less headroom, and a smooth transition from clean to overdriven.

Comment

I'll say this- I've built #1 and while not a "clean" amp, it rules.

I recently proto'd an amp that was 6au6-volume-6u8 pentode-volume-6u8 triode split load PI-cathode biased 6l6's. It reminded me of Live at Leeds.

Lotsa usable sounds to be had there!

You might try a 6u8 triode into tone controls (matchless style) into pentode into PI of your choosing.

jamie

Comment

I think the long tail always sounds better. It allows for more power tube break-up. The split-load always sounds too wooly to me. It can be a bottle-neck.

Comment

I like both types in different amps I have tried and/or built.

5E3s and AA1164s sound awesome for the case of split load PIs.

5F6As and 5G9s sound awesome for the case of LTPs.
                Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Interesting. So, there is a reason certain combinations have stood the test of time, huh...

Comment

Originally posted by dehughes View Post
                    Oh! Very cool! So, it was more of a gain thing, then, in your recollection?

I suppose that's good to know...as I'm not looking for clean, really, but rather the opposite: Less headroom, and a smooth transition from clean to overdriven.
                    As I mentioned, it was a long time ago. Seems that I had the impression the sound was slightly 'thicker' with the LTPI, but the overall tone didnt change. In that amp, I like the additional gain.

Originally posted by tubewell
                    I like both types in different amps I have tried and/or built.

5E3s and AA1164s sound awesome for the case of split load PIs.

5F6As and 5G9s sound awesome for the case of LTPs
                    Yeah, I agree with that. For example, I wouldn't personally think a 5E5/5F4/5E7 type circuit would be right with a LTPI or a 5F6 with a split load. But that's just me. There's no reason you can't experiment.
                    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Hi,
                      I'm now on a 5E5-a and tried all 3 pi-Types.
                      Unfortunately it always takes some time to rewire the PI and so it's not an
                      quick A/B comparison.

Only my impression:

LTP: lot of gain, very clean and smoth breakup.sadly a tad cold/thin sounding.
                      My 5E5 sounds like a low power Bassman

Split load: warmer sounding as long it's clean.same gain as LTP(when you use the second triode as gainstage).When it clips itself wich is early,it is very raw
                      and dirty.I think the Split load is a big part of the 5e3 Neil Young sound.
                      There is no way to get this kind of distortion with a LTP.

Paraphase: very thick and juicy.less articulate than LTP but very musical.
                      lot of gain.the clean sound is somewhat smeary.
                      I like it very much but it is special sounding.

Comment

Very cool, ben-horn. Great summation.

Comment

I think the lack of negative feedback makes for a terrible out of control distiortion ALA Neil Young too ?

Comment

Split load never really cleans up (or what we call clean anyway) but I like the sound. Woolly and warm describes what my ears hear. Definitely not tight and bright.

Yeah, going without NFB definitely ups the rat factor.

Comment

Working...
                            X