Transformer based Phase inverter for a small PP amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformer based Phase inverter for a small PP amp

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of using a transformer for a phase inverter, like in a balanced/unbalanced transformer for feeding 2 EL84's in push pull? I know power saving on the PT would be one advantage, but is there any real advantage beyond that?

Transformer PI

Other than costing more, weighing more & being bigger, a center tapped phase inverter works very well.
    You need a well made transformer. Both sides should have relatively equal output.
    You may have to design in a compensatation circuit for the correct frequency response.
    Hey, it is a transformer after all.
    John G

Comment

I've built a 2X6v6 amp with a transformer PI- my guitarist friend digs the sound.

Pluses: Very good balance/match between the two outputs.
      Simplicity/parts count.
      Can drive the tubes class AB2 for more output if desired.
      No bias shift issues.

Minuses: PI transformer can pick up hum from PT, feedback from OT.
      Really need a driver tube which can push some current- a 12AU7 or 6CG7 is good.
      Slightly more expensive and heavy.
      Difficult or impossible to apply negative feedback across entire power amp stage due to phase shifts in the PI x-mer. (I don't care for NFB, so it's a non issue for me.)
      Driver stage is usually single ended and needs a well filtered power supply.

You can check out the Gibson GA-20 RVT and the Fender Musicmaster Bass amo (I think that's the right model on the Fender) for examples of commercial amps using transformer PIs.

Good luck with your project!

Comment

Working...
      X