Reverb 12AT7 Tube Heat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb 12AT7 Tube Heat ?

Do any of you back off the voltage on the 12AT7 in the Fender reverbs ? If you do a touch test those tubes they just run so freaking hot that it bothers me as it seems it would burn out way faster than the others. I realize the 12AT pulls more current than a 12AX by Siemens but does it kill the tube quicker I guess is what I'm getting at ?
    KB

"Touch test" isn't really a test at all.

AB763 schem shows the AT dissipating less than 1.5W (.75W per triode), well below max dissipation, even allowing for rise in AC wal voltage. Some late SF's had a 820ohm cathode resistor, these often get changed back to 2200ohms/25uf bypass cap.

Comment

Think I'm gonna do a current test because this tube is hot to the point of not being able to touch it and at that dissipation wattage it should be way cooler. Maybe there is a problem also. I don't know what a 1.5 watt dissipated tube feels like but this one is really,really hot.
      KB

Comment

Do the current test by all means, but Fender reverb 12AT7 tubes are usually too hot to touch comfortably.

Think about it, you would worry about a hot rectifier or a hot power tube (which is exactly what the 12AT7 is in this case).

Comment

Good enough
          KB

Comment

SF fenders ran the 12AT7 reverb driver with a 470 to 1k cathode resistor, which runs the tube way over dissipation spec. As MWJB suggests, 2k2 is the value needed.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I've found out from experience that those BF (12AT7) reverb driver tubes wear out faster anyhow, even though each triode is designed for 5mA plate current.
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
              X