Single Channel Deluxe Reverb Wattage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Channel Deluxe Reverb Wattage

Imagine a AB763 Deluxe Reverb with only one clean channel. Although no reverb and no vibrato. Everything beside the single channel is completely cut out.

What would it take to make this 22 Watt amp a 50 Watt amp and how feasible is it? My intuition tells me it would take more than an addition of power tubes and maybe a new transformer.

Thanks for the insights!

- Tommy

It will most likely take two transformers, a new set of power tubes, perhaps a few component changes and a rebias.

Bigger PT to handle the extra current

Bigger OT to handle the extra watts

Maybe a pair of screen grid resistors and a bias resistor

Rebias for the new tubes

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

And that would all wind up making it a whole 3 decibels louder.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        And that would all wind up making it a whole 3 decibels louder.
        True. But they seem to be important decibles because a lot of players try to goose up their DR's for gig use. That last three db bumps you up to a usable clean tone in a medium size room with live drums.

Something I forgot was the speaker. If you have a speaker that won't take at least 70watts you would need to upgrade. And it's worth noting that if your current speaker is inefficient, changing to a very efficient speaker will give you as much extra volume as the wattage bump. Do both the mods and the efficient speaker and the thing may become too loud.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

And that was kinda where I was heading. Of course a 3db more efficient speaker will goose the loudness the same as doubling power, I suppose one could do both for 6db increase.

And for reference, the difference between the two input jacks on the old Fender is 6db.

Rightly or wrongly, I got the impression the original poster might not be up to speed on that aspect.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X