No announcement yet.

Bias question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first question would be........why 70%?

Different amps seem to like different bias settings. I'd never set a Fender at 70% or anything close to that; they seem to sound their best somewhere between 50%-60%. Some other amps like to be close to 70%. Some are just fine running at 50%.

My advice would be, adjust the bias, listen, go 5% one direction or the other, listen again, then go the oposite direction, listen.

That 70% number is just a "whats typically safe for class A/B" number. Its not a magic number for good tone, and often its not the number at which the particular amp sounds its best.

I'll usually try not to bias any hotter than I have to in order to get the best tone out of the amp. If the amp sounds equally good at 55% as 60%, and worse above or below that, I'd set it at 55%. It will run cooler and preserve your tubes.

Just because you CAN set idle current at 70%, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Comment

bias of power tube

Watched upward. I have this conclusion:
      1. macthed tube is not important in guitar amp, IN HI-FI, pair tube is important.Sometime, little mismatched tube can cause different distortion(maybe crossover distortion), some peopel like it.
      2. You still need match tube , don't let their current's difference more than 5ma. It would been caused the noise ,if the difference of biase current were larger.Tube Guitar amplifier,effect pedal and studio gear manufactory kldguitar

Comment

Working...
      X